General Weekend Panda'ing

Currently reading:
General Weekend Panda'ing

Anybody got much planned for the weekend panda wise?

ChiChi's due a wash wax and colour restore, (hopefully Sat morning)

And Sunday, if its dry, the brakes are to be changed hopefully.

I also have a sound system to install. fun fun fun

Craig.

Not much, I'll be spend most of my weekend at work :(

But before I go back to college on 20th I'm due to upgrade the front speaker's in my Selecta to these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150284776547&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005 that I've not long ago brought off of eBay.

Also still need to sort out the slight rust on my Selecta and Wax oil the undercarrage of dad's Selecta, and it's not look to promising with this weather :(

Jon.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
A bid on those crossed my mind, but I was convinced that i should get new ones. Aah well, there cheap enough. I'm not keen on having the Pioneer covers on, Squares and circles never work.

Oh. and is it easy to get the carpet up? theres just a plastic runner screwed in isn't there?

Craig.

We'll have to see, I don't think they'll look to bad hopefully (y)

Carpet, when you say get it up, do you mean look under it or compleatly remove :confused:

Jon.

Just pull away and slide a few wires under, hopefully it wont involve removing the seats. i have it in one of my many manuals.

Craig

:doh: stupid me, I should have realised. To run speaker cables to the back I assume (y)

Yea, just remove the door trim thing by the side of the seat's holding the carpet and rubber down, undo the 4/5 screws, tuck wiring under, and put it back in place.

'kickplate' I think it's called :p

Jon.

According to Haynes its a "tread plate" so you were close Jon.

It should be a nice easy job to do.

Lol.

Yes, I personally would say from experience that running speaker wires from front to back and installing/hiding them neatly will take no longer than 20-30min.

The timely part if installing the rear speakers (where are you going to put the out of interest?) and wiring up around the HU depending apon what sort of a state it is already in (y)

Jon.

I'm half way through building a new Parcel shelf for it, just need to get some accoustic carpet(maybe even some fleece or the similar) and join together, then install the speakers.

The only part that realy phases me abut this is getting the cables into the dash, as each end is sealed securley with a tidy peice of plastic:( so that will be a puzzle for my brain.

Craig.

The only part that realy phases me abut this is getting the cables into the dash, as each end is sealed securley with a tidy peice of plastic:( so that will be a puzzle for my brain.

You mean getting the cables to the back of the HU? Only one way for it :eek: Small hole with a knife in the cloth dash behind the HU.

So why did you have to re-build the parcel shelf then, had it broke :confused:

I think you might be right with that, not many other solutions are there?

There is one, and that's to tuck the wiring between the end of the cloth dash, and it's plastic holder, if you push the dash up from underneath at either end, you'll see a gap appear for you to feed the wires though.

Hope it makes sence, hard to explain really :eek:

But is only really anygood if you always have something in the dash to hide the wires, other wise they're then visable.

Jon.

the small gap between the speaker pod and steering column, would an Ashtray fit in there? that could hide them neatly:)

Yes, I think one would, and yes that would hide them away, or a windscreen cloth etc. I don't know why I haven't thought of that. I ran them down the passenger side in my Selecta, so they go along the longer passenger side segment of the dash, lol.

Jon.

Well seeing as you ask.....

I have got a hell of a lot of panda'ing planned... and it started this morning when I tried to drive the white 4x4 back home from swansea and broke down 30 miles off :( Loooong story and waay too tired to talk it through right now. I'll have to post it up when I've had some food and a rest I think. left at 9am got back 8pm....tooooo damn long!

Needless to say I now have 2 panda's that are broken now and need fixing and so I know exactly what I am doing tomorrow!

I hope I'm not alone here, got to be some tales from all this flooding and rain I'm sure!

Si

Ahh, Sorry to here it Si, were you expecting it to break down? well, even if u were still not alot you can do to prevent it.

i got one wire fitted:( i spent about 30mins trying to find a way to run a power cable from the battery to the dash, did not succed!

if any ones nows how without drilling a hole please share!

Craig.

Well the car hasnt been driven for a proper journey for 14 years or so. So something was bound to break, but I was kind of hopefull that I'd sorted out most the problems :eek:

Regarding the wires, assuming mk2's have the same bulkhead (everything else is bloody different :bang:) there is an oval bung that you can reach without removing the dash. If you look from inside the engine bay behind the battery you should see what I mean. The picture below shows roughly where (rust proving useful for better viewing in this case haha :rolleyes: ). I'm pretty sure its there, although this is from memory :eek:

I pushed a couple of power wires through there, using the original bung also as a seal by just poking some holes through it. As long as you feed the wire from the engine bay direction, it should be easy. It becomes alot harder when your trying to push the wire from the other way (So painful trying to get ones hand through all the stuff behind the steering column casing!).

If you HAVE to push it through from inside, I use a piece of string pushed through from the engine side and tie it to the wire and pull it back through. Works a treat!

Hope that helps!

Si

Attachments

• blarg.JPG
    blarg.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 7
Ahh, Sorry to here it Si, were you expecting it to break down? well, even if u were still not alot you can do to prevent it.

i got one wire fitted:( i spent about 30mins trying to find a way to run a power cable from the battery to the dash, did not succed!

if any ones nows how without drilling a hole please share!

Craig.

You shouldn't need to bring anything through the bulk head. There should already be a perminant live for a radio. If not tap it off of the clock/hazzard light feed.

If you still want to bring it from the battery e.g, for a sub or amp, remove front dash part, and remove clocks, and bring it through the bung/gasket that the speedo cable come's though (y)

Prevents any drilling etc.

Jon.

Back