Tuning Weber 30 DGF 250/1 Panda 30 carburettor

Currently reading:
Tuning Weber 30 DGF 250/1 Panda 30 carburettor

gordinir8

Established member
So after I tuned my engine with all the known and usual mods, sport cam, head porting, exhaust etc I installed a Weber 30 from panda 30 I order to "wake up" the engine. Installation is pretty straight forward since I didn't had to adjust any jets. Engine operation except faster is way smoother with all the problems of imb 28 out of the sight. Only problem with it is that you can't adjust idle screw anymore because of its position, it is located at the right sight of the carb close to rocker cover, you can't put any tools in there, not even a shortened straight bit so here is what I've done. Put idle screw in my lathe, drill a hole and tap a 2M thread. Took a 2 mm piano wire, made a thread also and now I have a small needle extension so I can adjust while engine is operating.
Hope you guys like it.

Thomas

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_192738.jpg
    IMG_20220509_192738.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20220509_195120.jpg
    IMG_20220509_195120.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 87
So after I tuned my engine with all the known and usual mods, sport cam, head porting, exhaust etc I installed a Weber 30 from panda 30 I order to "wake up" the engine. Installation is pretty straight forward since I didn't had to adjust any jets. Engine operation except faster is way smoother with all the problems of imb 28 out of the sight. Only problem with it is that you can't adjust idle screw anymore because of its position, it is located at the right sight of the carb close to rocker cover, you can't put any tools in there, not even a shortened straight bit so here is what I've done. Put idle screw in my lathe, drill a hole and tap a 2M thread. Took a 2 mm piano wire, made a thread also and now I have a small needle extension so I can adjust while engine is operating.
Hope you guys like it.

Thomas
I had a similar problem fitting a Weber 30DIC carb except the screw had a protruding straight knurled head so I part drilled a suitable size nut so it was an interference fit and tapped it into place so I could get a spanner on it.304F5803-E13A-4F07-8AC5-AF14DD657412.jpeg

I had a similar problem fitting a Weber 30DIC carb except the screw had a protruding straight knurled head so I part drilled a suitable size nut so it was an interference fit and tapped it into place so I could get a spanner on it.View attachment 405809
Well done Thomas---very neat answer to the problem. Your system was also "very cunning" Dave. For the average guy without the skill (or tools) to thread 2mm, this seemed like a very sensible, and easy, alternative.

Thanks Tom, those tools are here because I am also messing with live steam engines and I have some very fine tools but this is nothing hard to make even without a lathe, a press drill can also too the work.

Nice alternative, before this I 3D printed some tiny bit holders to do the work but with no luck.

It was good to read how well the carb works as I only just listed two Panda 30 carbs for sale on a different forum, nice little advert 😀

Good thing is that this carb open progressively and you can feel it when the second butterfly opens so you can control fuel consumption while with only the first one open you have good power. I would like to buy a second one to have it as a spare sometime but now I have other things to finish.

Hi Thomas, glad that your carb plan worked out, the weber is a straightforward mod. I too had to think of a way to access the mixture screw and simply measured how deep the mixture screw was down the casting on the carb and then cut the excess off (very carefully) the mixture screw is now level with the end of the fitting and can be adjusted with a screwdriver bent at 90deg (y)(y)(y)(y)
Ian.
IMG_3991.JPG

Ian did that also, reduce length by 2 mm but found impossible to put a screwdriver in a hot and vibrating engine so I did what I did inspired from my RC model airplane engines, they have exactly the same needle.

So while my car was running Great during cold weather this changed when temp went over 30 Celsius when engine is idling and I am pressing throttle to move engine dies, like there is no air. So I increased the inlet hose diameter to 60mm, made a 3d printed adaptor and put a bigger MANN filter as I was suggested by a Polish guy. So far looks ok while breathing is better and I have better acceleration too. I think this is a good mod for anyone using a bigger carb and want to keep the original intake which brings fresh cold air rather using engine bay hot air

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_151316.jpg
    IMG_20220627_151316.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220627_200550.jpg
    IMG_20220627_200550.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 41
Back