General Water leak

Currently reading:
General Water leak

Scottish Weekender

I have a problem with a damp carpet in the footwell of the front passenger side on my 2001 Marea Weekend. I have tried running a hose on the door area and looking inside, but cannot see any visible water coming in. Please can any help with some possible reasons? Could it be the water drain holes from the bottom of the winscreen are blocked? Thanks

hi has it got a sunroof? if so could be a drain off pipe blocked up??

does the carpet feel slighty oily and the water a bit musty?
If so it sounds like your heater matrix has gone.
This happened to me back in the summer. It's a dash out job to replace it!

"Drainage Holes
If the passenger side drainage hole is blocked this will cause water to ingress into the passenger footwell on acceleration or if the car is left stationary for some time. ALWAYS clear drain holes with long cable ties rather than wire as the latter will scratch the thin paint on the inner surfaces and is then a major cause of rust."

http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/fix-a-bravo.htm

half way down or so.

Heater Matrix would cause a similar issue.

Thanks, the water is a bit sticky, but clear and not smelly. It seems to come and go and not necessarily when raining. The heater matrix sounds a huge job, what would the cost approxiamatel be? What is a heater matrix and what is it leaking, it is water from the radiator? Thanks for the help.

Thanks, the water is a bit sticky, but clear and not smelly. It seems to come and go and not necessarily when raining. The heater matrix sounds a huge job, what would the cost approxiamatel be? What is a heater matrix and what is it leaking, it is water from the radiator? Thanks for the help.

Cost me about £200 at a local garage. The part is only £40 it's the labour for taking the dash out that puts the price up!

I had a water leak in pass. footwell. After much reading of forums and much scratching of head I found the problem to be a v.badly fitted replacement windscreen. I bought a tube of waterproof sealent/glue from B+Q pulled back seal from passengers side and squirted tube into grove and under windscreen. Because sealant is blue I could see it penetrating where a bad job had been done before. You couln't see how bad it was when looking at the screen before as it all looked black. The rubber seal was then quickly replaced to bond it to screen and frame.
End of leak.
Start of questions about "why have you got blue veins on your windscreen"

Hi.
If the water is sticky it's not rain comming in,
but most likely coolant from the radiator.
I had mine replaced 2 years ago, when the car was 8 years old.
The price was around 120 pounds. (Danish price).
It's one of the jobs i'm glad i had done at a garage!
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I will get my local garage see them when investigating, it may reduce the labour time. What did you have replaced,Migaard, when you said it was the radiator leaking?

It was the matrix heating element where your coolant heats the passenger compartment air. The exact same problem, sticky mouisture on the carpet at pass footwell...
In Denmark the price is around £70 for the heater.

Last edited:
Thought I'd ressuscitate this as same problem.
Passenger foot well full of water after heavy rain.
The heater blower sits just above so felt around this and appeared damp.
The pollen filter sits above this so took cover off and pollen filter damp.
Put hand down to drivers side of pollen filter housing - up to my elbow in water.
There is a large drainage tube just here that was blocked with leaves etc. It drains just below and slightly to passenger side of engine bulhead; cleaned this out and aquavacced footwell; long drive in rain yesterday; no more water.

Back