General Water From expantion tank cap

Currently reading:
General Water From expantion tank cap

Kenjn4658

Hi everyone, looking again for some advice. My daughter broke down today, red light came up on the dashboard, (we think the injection light), she pulled on to the hard shoulder, car then stalled. She noticed water being forced out of the expansion cap. A very nice man came (aa) and said he thought it was the stat, he got the car back, and Iv'e had a look. Took the stat out, and put the housing back, filled up, got air locks out, and pretty soon water was being forced out of the cap again. car starts fine, it's a 1.2 16v 1997. The top hose gets hot but the water being forced out is cold, bottom hose is warm, car really dosen't run that long before this happens, so dont think it's getting up to temp.

Re: Water From expansion tank cap

Anyone with any ideas please? I'm thinking head gasket, but I have no signs of mayo in with the oil or water.

Does the water bubble with the cap off? Does it smell like exhaust in the expansion tank? If one or both is a yes then it could be a hg. If the car has not run much with the blown gasket it won't have formed much gunk in the oil or water. When in doubt, get a compression test done!

It was a head gasket, got it of today. Just got to put everything back, going to put new hydrulic tappets in as they were noisy, and I had tried all the flushing and change of oil etc. Will also fit a new water pump, and belts, timing etc. I think the car got realy hot so will go for getting the head skimmed, may even go for a reconditioned one. Now I would like to clean the tops of the pistons, but I'm worried about throwing the timing out, I have the cams locked, is there anyway I can bring the pistons to the top to clean, or should I just leave well alone?

Back