Technical Wasted spark coil

Currently reading:
Technical Wasted spark coil

Help please! I'm going mad! I'm in the process of converting my 500 engine to wasted spark. I have just rebuilt the engine so it's on the bench. It has an accuspark hall effect module in the dizzy. So, what's wrong with my wiring? I have a live from the battery to the +ve on the coil. The red wire to the accuspark is connected to the +ve too and the black wire from the accuspark to the -ve on the coil. When I make the earth to the engine the plugs spark immediately and only then - turning the engine over doesn't create sparks at all. I really can't see what I am doing wrong - can anyone else. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

The wiring sounds correct to me. On the positive side of the coil you should have 12v and the red wire from the Accuspark, and on the negative side of the coil only the black wire from Accuspark. The Accuspark unit will earth through the base of the distributer, which in turn earths through the engine.

Have you had the Accuspark system running with the original style single coil and distributer cap? Might be a way to trouble shoot which part of the system is at fault.

The wiring sounds correct to me. On the positive side of the coil you should have 12v and the red wire from the Accuspark, and on the negative side of the coil only the black wire from Accuspark. The Accuspark unit will earth through the base of the distributer, which in turn earths through the engine.

Have you had the Accuspark system running with the original style single coil and distributer cap? Might be a way to trouble shoot which part of the system is at fault.
Many thanks for that - it's wired as you say. I'm not going mad!! I think it may be the coil as it seems to have given up the ghost altogether now. Originally it was showing a permanent earth which was why presumably the plugs sparked as soon as the circuit was completed with the battery. I will investigate further.

Back