w00t Speed i mean "safty" camera update

Currently reading:
w00t Speed i mean "safty" camera update

Hellcat said:
I know you can't speak on behalf of all the policemen and women in the country... but go on anyway! Do your average bobbies on the street and in their cars think speed cameras work? I've witnessed ANPR doing its thing, although that wouldn't have worked without the TC to interpret what it said.

Varied really! Sticking them where accidents DO happen due to speed, yeah fair enough, it slows people down and stops accidents which can only be good! Its when you have them in places where people speed on a long wide road . . . why? No accidents there so why? Also these ones which do average speed, I dont like them, how are they related to accidents?

There are for's and against's, I dont particularly like the "safety camera van" where it sits up on the side of a road simply because residents have moaned about speeders!

So as to whether they have worked, personally I see it that some places they have worked as they have cut accidents, others can not work as there are no accidents there inthe first place!
ANPR however, I love it, it is fantastic! :slayer: But thats another topic!

What does yours do when it spots a target? Can you change the noise to "Yabba dabba do!" ??

I noticed that our 'safety camera van' has been out a lot recently. Has it been too cold to sit in a van over winter, and now its warm they'll be out again?

I don't like how every crash is due to speeding... the fact that the driver was drunk and on drugs, was banned from driving and had no insurance, tax or MOT doesn't seem to matter?!

Hellcat said:
What does yours do when it spots a target? Can you change the noise to "Yabba dabba do!" ??

I noticed that our 'safety camera van' has been out a lot recently. Has it been too cold to sit in a van over winter, and now its warm they'll be out again?

I don't like how every crash is due to speeding... the fact that the driver was drunk and on drugs, was banned from driving and had no insurance, tax or MOT doesn't seem to matter?!

Apparently the yabba dabba do sound was a national agreement!! Odd but hey!

I dont think every crash is due to speeding too, drunk drugs etc are key players too, hence why more traffic cops in particular are needed!
Most forces have the location of their scamera van on their website as to where it will be each day!

Cleveland has published where it might be - but not on a day to day basis. It loves a section of 30mph dual carriageway - just after a 40mph single carriageway. They must make a fortune from that road. Got my dad doing 35 in my mum's Ford Ka.. How embaressing since he owned a bike capable of 180+ and a volvo S40 that can do about 130 :D

You hardly see cameras just before a sharp bend after a big long straight going downhill. If they put them in places like that it'd slow people right down so they don't crash on dangerous bends. But oh no, they only put them on big long open straights, usually where there's no pedestrians. Doesn't seem logical.

The Trooper said:
You hardly see cameras just before a sharp bend after a big long straight going downhill. If they put them in places like that it'd slow people right down so they don't crash on dangerous bends. But oh no, they only put them on big long open straights, usually where there's no pedestrians. Doesn't seem logical.

mobile cameras are ***** for sitting on hills round a blind bend here :( and hiding inbetween a row of parked cars, wanna go burn that camera out if it got me!

brava007 said:
Varied really! Sticking them where accidents DO happen due to speed, yeah fair enough, it slows people down and stops accidents which can only be good! Its when you have them in places where people speed on a long wide road . . . why? No accidents there so why? Also these ones which do average speed, I dont like them, how are they related to accidents?

There are for's and against's, I dont particularly like the "safety camera van" where it sits up on the side of a road simply because residents have moaned about speeders!

So as to whether they have worked, personally I see it that some places they have worked as they have cut accidents, others can not work as there are no accidents there inthe first place!
ANPR however, I love it, it is fantastic! :slayer: But thats another topic!

Useless things we only have a couple of fixed ones stuck in the middle of a straight road where nothing has ever happened, fair enough at schools accident blackspots etc but the camera vans tend to sit on the fast straights of the A66 or A595 or M6 ? of course they are not revenue machines :rolleyes: what a crock.

Normal shift sizes are getting smaller & smaller so difficult to keep up with the normal day to day calls & forms/paperwork that go with them. We need more officers to get things back on track including road safety.

Back