Technical VTEC in a Cinq/Sei?

Currently reading:
Technical VTEC in a Cinq/Sei?

899man

New member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
9
Location
Doncaster
I have just been looking around on the net (hey, what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon!) and have seen a few sites with VTEC-powered Minis, like this one:

http://www.saeminivtec.co.uk/mainframe.htm

Just a thought - how feasible do you lot recon this would be to do in a Cinq/Sei? :devil:

Maybe it has been done already?
 

chaos

Ah. Not good...
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
10,602
It should be possible - me and Tom (Arse of Box) were talking about this the other day :) The Cinq is a pure monocoque, and the mini has a front subframe. It would probably be necessary to beef up the mounting points on a cinq shell to take the extra weight of a lump the likes of a VTEC.

Loads of 16v engines have found their way into minis - VTECs, Rover K Series, Vauxhall XEs, Suzuki G13B, Toyotas.............
 

alainax

α ψΨψ Ω
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
5,891
Location
lanarkshire
899man said:
I have just been looking around on the net (hey, what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon!) and have seen a few sites with VTEC-powered Minis, like this one:

http://www.saeminivtec.co.uk/mainframe.htm

Just a thought - how feasible do you lot recon this would be to do in a Cinq/Sei? :devil:

Maybe it has been done already?
ive already contacted them, and many others who have done the mini and saxo vtec conversions
as they have not yet done the protoype cento they are lookin at scary money to take the project on, itl take over a year to complete wich is a hell of a lot of money and i couldnt not have mine for a full year.

but when the prototype is done the costs will come down

xxx
 

chaos

Ah. Not good...
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
10,602
alainax said:
ive already contacted them, and many others who have done the mini and saxo vtec conversions
as they have not yet done the protoype cento they are lookin at scary money to take the project on, itl take over a year to complete wich is a hell of a lot of money and i couldnt not have mine for a full year.

but when the prototype is done the costs will come down

xxx

Thinking about it, the only really expensive thing should be the driveshafts and the engine mountings. If you're handy with the mig, you could overcome both of these relatively easily and cheaply.........:chin:
You could use the donor engine's fuel pump and either modify the Cento tank to suit or fabricate/buy one from the likes of demon tweeks
 

alainax

α ψΨψ Ω
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
5,891
Location
lanarkshire
chaos said:
Thinking about it, the only really expensive thing should be the driveshafts and the engine mountings. If you're handy with the mig, you could overcome both of these relatively easily and cheaply.........:chin:
You could use the donor engine's fuel pump and either modify the Cento tank to suit or fabricate/buy one from the likes of demon tweeks
Its really not that simple,
with these sort of conversions the cento or origional car is just the frame, a shell so to speak,
the conversion is not just an engine with these sort of thing it involves chassis streanthing all sorts of adjustments to the suspension and welding all over the place, a vtec would rip a cento apart without it, not my words this is what these companies have told me

xxx
 

h2ypr

500 + 600
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
2,002
Location
Halfway
Personally i know that most HIGH SPEC engine upgrades require major chassis work to take the weight and also the weight shift of the engine. Also the geometry of the car changes so that has to be addressed aswell!

Ross
 

chaos

Ah. Not good...
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
10,602
alainax said:
Its really not that simple,
with these sort of conversions the cento or origional car is just the frame, a shell so to speak,
the conversion is not just an engine with these sort of thing it involves chassis streanthing all sorts of adjustments to the suspension and welding all over the place, a vtec would rip a cento apart without it, not my words this is what these companies have told me

xxx

I know Alaina ;) I've known about 16V minis for over 5 years :rolleyes:
A lot of people who 16V'd a mini have used the original suspension (uprated obviously, I mean using rubber cones - the mini doesn't have coil suspension like a Cento). They have custom fabricated their own subframes basing them on either a mongrel of mini/Metro GTi/homemade frames, or just extensively modifying a standard mini frame.
With a cento, you could do what Theresa did to her cinq with welding/plating on the inner wings to take the extra weight of the lump.
What companies have you spoken to?
The driveshafts can be machined by essentially cutting both driveshafts in half and rewelding to provide a mongrel driveshaft. This has been done before, and apparently they've been reliable :)
 
Last edited:

vandisian

New member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
207
Location
Arbroath
i think some major work shoehorning a vtec into a cinq would have to be the 1.5 VTEC dont know if this would have to be a JDM one but can pick them up for £500 quid delivered. Of course the engine fitting would be the bigest job but some trial and error would have to be done to get the car balanced right and uprated brakes suspension etc etc. You would need to have your own garage and workshop or deep deep pockets. Quite a lot of torque in a VTEC but i think the uno turbo engine is ambitious enough for such a wee motor. A mini i had seen with vtec conversion had to have a clubman front end dropped into it to accomodate not as nice as standard mini. Anything is possible if you have lots of resources , Honda got 1400bhp from a 1.4 litre car but they have billions. Any billionaire cinq enthusiasts out there?
 

vandisian

New member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
207
Location
Arbroath
had a look at that link SCARY mini very nice

Just to say though for anyone whose not had a honda they are very expensive for parts but you can get genuine parts delivered from america for a fraction of the price, but you wont need to as jerremy clarkson said if Honda made people they would never die.
 
Last edited:

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
6,978
Location
Midlands
A VTec Cinq would be awesome...

I toyed with the idea late last year but decided against it as I cant weld...but the way I see it, if it'll go in a Mini it'll go in a Cinq!

Things will need uprating, but its certainly not impossible!!
 

beastyjay

Banned
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
3,311
Location
milton keynes
thing is the b16 tec engine has the gearbox on the other side to what the cinq gearbox is, dunno whether that`d be a major problem???
 

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
6,978
Location
Midlands
beastyjay said:
thing is the b16 tec engine has the gearbox on the other side to what the cinq gearbox is, dunno whether that`d be a major problem???

Dunno....dont think so...as long as theres a line of sight path to wheels from hubs i wouldnt think its a problem as I would think the VTec engine's box would probably have a totally different gear selection system...ands parts would have to be fabbed up to make it fit the Cinq
 

alainax

α ψΨψ Ω
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
5,891
Location
lanarkshire
chaos said:
What companies have you spoken to?
every bloody one who does any sort of engine conversion thats why its took me this long to decide!!!! :(
xxx
 

chaos

Ah. Not good...
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
10,602
vandisian said:
A mini i had seen with vtec conversion had to have a clubman front end dropped into it to accomodate not as nice as standard mini.

Some like their slab fronts ;)
You can fit a VTEC under a bullnose, but you need to lengthen the front end by 4 inches. It is possible, I believe, to fit a Vauxhall XE lump under a standard bullnose, but its a tight fit. The Suzuki G13B fits in relatively easily :)
 

chaos

Ah. Not good...
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
10,602
alainax said:
every bloody one who does any sort of engine conversion thats why its took me this long to decide!!!! :(
xxx

Something like this would probably be better off done by yourself if you have the knowledge :)
 

vandisian

New member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
207
Location
Arbroath
i notice in that link for the mini vtec site the engine is more offset than it is when it is in the honda maybee just the way it looks in such a small car? By the way i had the B18C engine in the type R just short of 200bhp. A type R cinq thats evel kenevil territory. Type R would do 145mph depending on how accurate the clocks were in a cinq thats a PULSAR GTI beater for sure. Naturaly aspirated!
 
Last edited:
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
406
Location
South Wales
Has anyone clicked on the prices tab of the original link...

all professionally done by them, they want £10000!!

Fcuk that. I'd buy a civic type r with the engine installed!!
 

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
6,978
Location
Midlands
Slippy said:
Has anyone clicked on the prices tab of the original link...

all professionally done by them, they want £10000!!

Fcuk that. I'd buy a civic type r with the engine installed!!

Hmm...I dunno...Id like to feel what happen if you floored a Type R engined cento...instant chassis snap!! :D :D
 

GhostWKD

Winning
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
17,252
Location
Banbury, Oxfordshire
iirc... but i didnt... £8k :eek:

minirear1.jpg

minifront.jpg

miniengine2.jpg
 
Top