General Vtec Cinq

Currently reading:
General Vtec Cinq

shepz said:
as you's may tell im not a fan of ricers...v-tec all cock and no balls where's the torque?its all bhp figures.

and to whoever compared a 1.6 v-tec against a 1.2 turbo there's no comparison really

the sound of them aswell....they go from a sort of light hairdryer noise into a full on junkie stuker suicide bomber...its not pretty

v-tec just doesnt really cut it for me....but a turbo v-tec:cool: i definatly would

Agreed. Torque figure on a civic is 147lb/ft (IIRC) and the bhp is 197. Where as you look at the torque figure of a cinq sporting 67lb/ft (IIRC) and the bhp is only 54. Then take the rest of the fiat range and the torque figures are always good against the bhp. The coupe is 220bhp with 229lb/ft. thats the direct comparison against turbo vs v-tech. There is only 20bhp in it but the coupe will clear the quarter mile over a second quicker (IIRC).

Ross

Ross, its a known fact that the FIRE unit is very torquey for its displacement, in comparison to the other competition.

VTec and VVT is very good, but best coupled with a forced induction system (ergo the Volvo T5 units post 2000 or similar).

Also...they did an SOHC VTec Engine IIRC. I think the 1500cc is SOHC, and the 1600 and 1800 are DOHC. Its that reason it confortably fits in the Mini. I think.

arseofbox said:
Its that reason it confortably fits in the Mini. I think.

It doesn't fit into a roundnose - an extra 3.5" has to be added to the front end. Just fits with a Clubman front though :)

The Vtec is nothing really to do with the number of cams, its how the cams change during the rev range.

The FIRE motor is quite torquey because it has only 8 valves, At low engine speeds the mixture is better than a 16V unit because the air speeds are higher.

A 16V unit only becomes better than an 8V unit around 3500rpm, when the gas speeds ahve increased to a point where the extra valvage is letting more air/fuel mixture in.

The Vtec, and other similar systems change the operation of the valves at certain speeds to try and get more torque at lower speeds and more power at higher speeds. This will be either by adjusting the timing of the valves, like the Barchetta engine, or adjusting the lift, like the Vtec.

The Vtec system also allows greater revs, which in a normally aspirated engine is the only way to get more power.

A turbo or supercharger forces more air in at lower revs, hence the differences.

Most people's mechanical sympathy runs out before they get to maximum revs in a Vtec.

Cheers

D

rallycinq said:
The Vtec system also allows greater revs, which in a normally aspirated engine is the only way to get more power.

A turbo or supercharger forces more air in at lower revs, hence the differences.

Most people's mechanical sympathy runs out before they get to maximum revs in a Vtec.

Cheers

D

yea mate its like a motorbike just keeps reving

also bearing in mind everyone that aftermarket turbos are available for vtec engines, you would need to add one to make a comparison. But the point was that the amount of power for a naturally aspirated car is phenominal.
And the ride for a front wheel driven car is also amazing.
However i would disagree to an extent on it not being about the cams depends on the vtec motor i think there are three types.

Variable valve Timing and Electronic lift Control
http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/techstuff/vtec/

Last edited:
A wee bit like the Mitsubishi Fto Mivec version then ? They have 4 cams? (is that right) and they change at about 5000rpm.... (I cant really remember...)

Ross

The FTO has 4 cams because it is a V6, and has two cams per head. The Mivec system works in a similar manner to the Vtec, VVT-i etc etc, in this case the rocker arms are in two parts and they cahnge in relation to each other at certain revs, so you get low lift with a short overlap at low engine speeds, and a higher lift with longer overlap at higher engine speeds.

Cheers

D

blu73 said:
Yeh, it always amazes me how simple these thing are when explained in a way you can understand.

You tryin to same im simple? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ross

Back