General Vin Number Decode

Currently reading:
General Vin Number Decode

Greetings, I know it's on here somewhere and I cannot remember if it was part of another thread so - I am trying to break down the month my car was built and where? My car (500 F) carries the vin 1314868 which places it in the 1966 build year as far as I can determine, but the first registration was 07/01/1967.
Can anyone break down the number and furnish me with a build month and location of assembly. Thanks in advance.
Ian.

Greetings, I know it's on here somewhere and I cannot remember if it was part of another thread so - I am trying to break down the month my car was built and where? My car (500 F) carries the vin 1314868 which places it in the 1966 build year as far as I can determine, but the first registration was 07/01/1967.
Can anyone break down the number and furnish me with a build month and location of assembly. Thanks in advance.
Ian.
I can't Ian, but if you contact Fiat UK, there is a man there who possibly can. Chassis construction can be traced, but not engine.

in reality there are very few Factory records relating to numbers etc..
most dating is done using a spreadsheet that has a formula based on sales and work pracices etc, e.g. national holidays during august means lower production numbers and slow down of sales over winter and increases in spring...
the 1996 data is
Chassis number 1056857 was the first recorded for 1966 and
Chassis number 1333077 the last
with a year total of 276220
so you could make as good a guess as anyone as to which month it was actually built

for Early cars (N's) Italian enthusiasts and myself have compiled a spread sheet of almost every known N, and they have dates of registration etc.. so we can see much clearer patterns for early cars...
to their knowledge Fiat have not compiled anything similar for any other model...
such a shame really...
Only in the last few years have Fiat realized the importance of such details and my Italian friends are very jealous of the Heritage Certificates that can be obtained for British cars. (BL etc but Lotus have now created a register of the chassis numbers ec and too can provide such information obviously at a cost)... so in reality decided to "cash in on dating and authenticity certificates....
They can only really say a car is "Period looking" they have no records of trim or colours although some cars may have plates that show this... they can only give an approximation of the date of production...
but as that is required for registration, they have found a nice little income from it....

From several of the online chassis number lists I found out that mine was one of about 50,000 500Ls built in 1971 at the Desio factory but nothing about the month and nothing about the original engine number. According to an ACI inspection document (done in July this year) that came with my car, the 'Data immatricolazione' was 01/01/1971 but I'm not sure if that is just an approximation because they know the year, or the real manufacture date (which seems unlikely). According to the same document, the original first registration in Italy was 20/10/1971 so if the 50,000 were spread through the year mine would have been built in about September...

As above, you may be able to get more from Fiat (but will have to pay for it). Good luck!

Back