Technical Vehicle warm up - 1.9MJ

Currently reading:
Technical Vehicle warm up - 1.9MJ

Garree001

Ohhh my, yes.
Hi all

Now that some very cold weather is starting to settle in (-1 in west London last night), it has raised the issue of how long it takes for the car to warm up. So I was wondering how long it takes for other 1.9MJs to warm up and for hot(ish) air to start coming through the vents?

Thanks

A fantastically long time! I've practically completed my journey before I feel the benefit of heat.

Think I'm gonna get a cover for the leather wheel, my hands can't take much more of the cold!

Ages.... lol it depends on the sort of driving, can be between 4-10mins before it gets anywhere near warm.

Yeah - more enthusiastic driving = faster warm up. This is not really good idea though as I don't want the turbo to explode! And it'll be more likely to when the oil is cold and thicker :(

srgl99 - how about some fluffy pink gloves? :p

lpic2711.jpg

In all seriousness though, I was driving home in traffic yesterday and it was not completely warm after 30mins or so. First time it has taken that long though, I have to say.

Last edited:
Yup warm up time is slooooow on a diesel, 15 - 20 mins after a night like last night... -4 in Shropshire!

Thank god it aint just me then! Thought I had a dodgy heater it takes sooo long to warm the bl*ody thing up! Add in freezing cold leather seats and the skydome (which obviously isn't as well insulted as a normal roof) and it's like sitting in a b@stard freezer for 15 minutes!

Thank god it aint just me then! Thought I had a dodgy heater it takes sooo long to warm the bl*ody thing up! Add in freezing cold leather seats and the skydome (which obviously isn't as well insulted as a normal roof) and it's like sitting in a b@stard freezer for 15 minutes!

:ROFLMAO: lmfao! Skydome & leather FTL! Mind you my hands do get cold! But my rear is warm on my cloth seats! (y)

Tell yourself it's worth it for the Summer! :D

Haha I know where you are coming from there! Those seats are so damned cold. But my biggest concern is the fact that it takes ages to demist the car with no warmth :( The aircon does not seem to be able to deal with it alone. Had to pull over for five minutes and rev the car until they cleared after misting up this morning and I did not have a cloth to wipe the windows. That on top of the fact that I had to scrape the windows with a plastic coat hanger from the boot because I have stupidly misplaced my ice thingy... :ROFLMAO:

Tell yourself it's worth it for the Summer! :D

Mr Ffoxy, leather ain't that pleasant in the summer either :p Burns your arse! Just no pleasing some people (me) is there!

Last edited:
Don't use the heater until the engine begins to warm up as all you are doing is slowing down the engine warming. Diesels are more thermally efficient than petrols, and so waste less heat - so less available for the cabin. The 1.9 can take twenty minutes to even begin to offer any warmth, which means that for short journeys you'll just have to wrap up. And gunning a cold engine to encourage it to warm more quickly will just bugger it up.

Bloody multi-quote thing not working :(

Mr T, I did scrape the frost off this morning! With a coathanger :rolleyes:

adamcot, I would have left early if I'd have known. Not had the car a year yet which means that I have not had a winter with it, so never knew :p

Ulpian - I am not caning it about to warm up. Only morons do that. And I know not to set to warm until the engine has done its bit to warm up.

It all just came as a surprise as my last car (1.8 Astra) warmed up before I got to the end of the road :p

This morning was -3 for me. So I decided before I left work go and start it up and leave it running while I stood with it drinking my coffee. Then use the scraper that I got from work. I dont ever seem to have this terrible condensation problem other people have been complaining about though? Mines been brilliant, when its cold and raining I just press the auto button on the climate keeps the car all nice and clear. No problems.

Oh and it takes ages to warm up! normally when I pull up at work.

Last edited:
You need to be careful with leaving the car running. There's a law that allows for you to get a fine if you have left it idling while without travelling for more than "a couple of minutes". It actually says that too. Can't find it at the moment, but they were talking about it on a local radio station here the other day as it is expected that Councils will start using that one more as takings from parking fines have fallen...

You need to be careful with leaving the car running. There's a law that allows for you to get a fine if you have left it idling while without travelling for more than "a couple of minutes". It actually says that too. Can't find it at the moment, but they were talking about it on a local radio station here the other day as it is expected that Councils will start using that one more as takings from parking fines have fallen...

Heard about that aswell, obviously the council (who think they run the country......maybe they do cause police and politicians dont have any power!) would rather us driving around with frosted glass on our cars:rolleyes: Good for enviroment and bodyshops.

Back