V-Power?

Currently reading:
V-Power?

I haven't tested this myself as I just get Tesco 99 but my brother has tried this in his Suzuki ignis sport (suppose to be 98 ron only used) after using a 97 ron think it was bp ultimate. an there was a definite difference the car pulled better throughout the rev range whilst using vpower nitro+. not sure if there is a difference between Tesco 99 an vpower nitro+ though.

I haven't tested this myself as I just get Tesco 99 but my brother has tried this in his Suzuki ignis sport (suppose to be 98 ron only used) after using a 97 ron think it was bp ultimate. an there was a definite difference the car pulled better throughout the rev range whilst using vpower nitro+. not sure if there is a difference between Tesco 99 an vpower nitro+ though.

I would wonder if the ecu had picked up it was on 97 rather than 98 and retarded the timing to protect itself, then when the right fuel was put in adjusted to suit. It could just be down to better fuel but it might not be.

Since ive had my abarth gp i put a tank of supermarket **** in when i picked it up, then v-power nitro+ ever since. So much smoother and more responsive! And seems better mpg. Get 39mpg average going work and back, thats in traffic too, and 45 on a motorway run, didnt get close to that on cheap stuff.

And it does take a couple of tanks for the ecu to adapt, and by that point the cleaning addatives would have worked there magic, smooooooooth.....

Just wanted too see some opinions really....

I've been using V-Power now for a few months and I'm pretty sure it has made a difference, but having the price of it go up by about 5p a liter in the past couple of weeks I'm beginning to find it hard to justify the extra cost

If I mention it I always get the default response of - 'Whats the point using it in a car like that?' but I do find it makes the car far more responsive at the extremities of the rev range, plus I think it feels a lot smoother and sounds healthier too

As for actual power and MPG I don't think it has made a noticeable difference..

Any thoughts?

They say that it helps clean the engine, but I've tried pouring it all over and it just ends in an insurance claim....

I have found that I turbo charged engines its worth while. My T5 had significant mpg gain and some extra poke!

The twinair, can't tell the power difference but it returns more mpg with the better octane level.

The NA cars I've had I just couldn't tell any difference.

I use Tescos momentum http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/high-octane-equals-better-mpg

Studies have shown that bp's 'special' fuel does naff all, V power on the other had does.

Ye thats true, they did a study on 5th gear or something, and they too 3 cars, small car, hatchback and a scooby, and ran them on standard fuel then vpower while dynoing them, and the performance cars benefited the most, so guess thats the rule

Running on 95 best mpg I got was 41 but usually 39.5ish since I've been on vpower its not been below 43mpg with a high point at 46.6. I wouldn't say its particularly faster or more powerful, pulls more cleanly at low revs and runs a little sweeter. But the mpg gains offset the cost even on my totally not sporty in anyway car.

How long does it take for the ECU to adjust to the new octane?

I've found that, with the Punto, the improvements to mpg/pence per mile plateau on/around the third tankful (after about 800 miles... -- YMMV, as they say...). I noticed an improvement (albeit subjective) to smoothness, etc., after the first fill-up, though... -- however, this has continued to get better. Just done a 120-mile round trip, today; and I think both economy and 'feel' have gotten as good as they're going to.... :cool:

My biggest problem is consistency, I prefer tesco's momentum but every now and again have to use Vpower.
I don't know what my wife sticks in it which probable means my ECU is confused I am when using blue and me!

It is Japanese with a good quality engine management system (like you get on performance cars).

I must admit I'm tempted to run Diesel Vpower+ in my GP for a few tank fulls and log the results before and after :chin: :).

If I hadn't got good results I wouldn't still be using it. I figured upping my fuel costs by 20 quid over a month if I got nowt from it was a reasonable cost to learn something.

I've found that, with the Punto, the improvements to mpg/pence per mile plateau on/around the third tankful (after about 800 miles... -- YMMV, as they say...). I noticed an improvement (albeit subjective) to smoothness, etc., after the first fill-up, though... -- however, this has continued to get better. Just done a 120-mile round trip, today; and I think both economy and 'feel' have gotten as good as they're going to.... :cool:

Okay: a bit more detailed analysis. On the same route that I do (both ways (matron)), several times a week, in the Punto, my indicated mpg has gone up from 43-44, a couple of weeks ago, to 50.5, today! :D

Admittedly, it was quiet, and I could therefore drive how I like to (i.e. smoothly accelerating; very little braking, etc.): so I may not be able to keep this up (matron) for long; but we shall see.... :cool:

Overall, though, after putting in my fourth tank of V-Power Nitro+, today, I am now averaging 14.5 p per mile in fuel costs; as opposed to nearer 17.0 p per mile, before, on FuelSave unleaded: which (as well as, hopefully, having a cleaner, smoother, more efficient engine) is the whole point of the exercise, for me. I'm presently surprised that the difference is this noticeable.... :rolleyes:

I had to fill up at BP on Saturday as my fuel light came on and I wasn't too sure how far I would get. Filled up with their 99 stuff.

Over the weekend I did 106 miles, mainly country lanes, bit of town stuff, not really taking it easy (second gear, staying around 6,000+ revs is where I like to be when having a play), filled up on Sunday evening (Shell Nitro+ this time to try it out), and with the BP stuff I got 45.53mpg.

Was pretty impressed with that, bare in mind when I went to Bristol (225ish miles there and back), taking it easy, on motorways for a lot of it) I got 50mpg using Tesco 99.

So, depending on what I get from Shell, chances are I'll be using BP from now. Not too far away, and go past it a few times a week also.

Okay: a bit more detailed analysis....

Overall, though, after putting in my fourth tank of V-Power Nitro+, today, I am now averaging 14.5 p per mile in fuel costs; as opposed to nearer 17.0 p per mile, before, on FuelSave unleaded: which (as well as, hopefully, having a cleaner, smoother, more efficient engine) is the whole point of the exercise, for me. I'm presently surprised that the difference is this noticeable.... :rolleyes:

See also this post. (y)

Well can't quite beat that but given I've got an extra 300cc and 22 horses I'm running pretty well, ran up to Scotland on a 200 mile trip yesterday not driving hypermile style so still using the outside lane and the pedal on the right I managed 47.8mpg which puts my all time average fuel costs at 15.3p a mile and the cost on the last tank at 13.6p a mile despite the extra cost of v power.

records so far going back to me starting usibg fuelky in September. https://www.fuelly.com/driver/stevenrb45/swift?fu=4519335

Last edited:
I give not a toss about MPG. I run the wifes 1.2 sport 500 on super unleaded.
(it absolutely definitely runs less lumpy and revs more freely) and I'm only supposed
to run my car on super or I lose 30-40bhp (and I ain't having that!!)
Both of our previous cars were diseasel so the price per litre is about the same from
where I'm sitting, I just have to buy it more often.

Well its gone down by 3p a litre since I last filled up which should help the pence per mile, the fact that I managed 44.2 mpg with lots of urban and stop start driving won't hurt either. Nearly down to 15p per mile average.

Back