Technical Using a washer with a new hub nut

Currently reading:
Technical Using a washer with a new hub nut

The Helsinki Fiat dealer is asking over 19 Euro for a mk2b hub nut. These nuts are M22/1.5 and are particularly high. Mine is 29mm high. To stake the nut I am estimating it needs to be a minimum of 26mm. Socket size is 32mm.

There are options to get a nut posted but that comes to about 17 Euro.

I have got a 'fiat' nut from the local motonet shop which is 23mm high but the nut part the socket fits too is much lower than the nut part on my original part by about 8mm. I am supposing there might be a reason for the higher nut part of my original part but it could be just to extend the nut out so it can be staked. Maybe the other models of fiat cars which share the drive shaft have a thicker hub so the higher nut was fiats solution for the punto having a thinner hub?

So there are two potential problems:

1. The strong part of the nut which the socket fits on is not as high as the original part by about 8mm. The nut part is 12.3mm high.

2. Overall the nut is too short to be properly staked.

I can get a 22m washer that is 3mm high.

Are there any reasons not to use a washer under the staked nut?

Last edited:
The Helsinki Fiat dealer is asking over 19 Euro for a mk2b hub nut. These nuts are M22/1.5 and are particularly high. Mine is 29mm high. To stake the nut I am estimating it needs to be a minimum of 26mm. Socket size is 32mm.

There are options to get a nut posted but that comes to about 17 Euro.

I have got a 'fiat' nut from the local motonet shop which is 23mm high.

I can get a 22m washer that is 3mm high.

Are there any reasons not to use a washer under the staked nut?
I think there is already a thick washer under the hub nut...
Cant see why addin another will hurt? As long as there a decent amount of threads that go through and you can notch it to get the 'stake nut'locking effect

Ziggy

I think there is already a thick washer under the hub nut...
Cant see why addin another will hurt? As long as there a decent amount of threads that go through and you can notch it to get the 'stake nut'locking effect

Ziggy

Thanks. I was wondering if a moveable washer was going to create a problem. The original built in 'washer' is part of the nut.

The nut I have from the local shop is for the heavier Tipo so it should be fine if it will reach the stake slots.

Not recommended to add a washer. These nuts are torqued to a very high figure, and a 'free' washer in the mix might affect it. If any such nut is not tight enough, it becomes loose and destroys the hub bearing and often hub, discs, CV joint. Makes the proper nut look cheap.

I've seen a lot of these on various vehicles failed because of not being tight enough. If mine, I would not ever consider adding a washer where not designed to be. Big risk.

Not recommended to add a washer. These nuts are torqued to a very high figure, and a 'free' washer in the mix might affect it. If any such nut is not tight enough, it becomes loose and destroys the hub bearing and often hub, discs, CV joint. Makes the proper nut look cheap.

I've seen a lot of these on various vehicles failed because of not being tight enough. If mine, I would not ever consider adding a washer where not designed to be. Big risk.

Thanks. I will avoid using a washer.

Back