Technical Urgent Engine Help needed

Currently reading:
Technical Urgent Engine Help needed

jlee

I got my ulysee back from mot yesterday with a few minor faults, so today i thought i would flush the coolant system as it seems to run hot when at lights in traffic etc. When i started the engine to get the air out i noticed a fast trickle of oil running down the block from behind the left hand engine mount (2.0l petrol) so I turned off the engine and took the oil cap of and there was mayo, now it was not there last week as i checked when lookin in to the idle problem. Does this mean I need a head gasket? And if so does the head / block need skimming? Also are the water pumps prone to any problems as this is also under suspicion..

Thanks Jay...

You say it runs hot at ligths. Do you mean it boils up? With no airflow throught he rad the engine will run hot and the fan should cut in and out to drop the temperature.
That's normal.
Mayo on the oil cap isn't a clear sign of water in the oil. It's getting cold and damp now and condensation can quickly build up.

The oil leak and cooling issue maynot be related. I'd degrease the engine and get it clean and then try and accuratley locate the oil leak.

Are you actually losing water? Are you boiling up. Does the oil on the dip stick look in good shape?

Back