Upgraded clutch

Currently reading:
Upgraded clutch

Hi has anyone fitted an upgraded clutch to their fiat car? I have a grande punto with the starjet engine and the clutch has a slight judder on it so was thinking when I replace it could I fit a stronger one and any ideas where to get one from? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using FIAT Forum

I doubt the judder has anything to do with the "strength" of the clutch. Just go for a decent OE replacement one from a reputable supplier rather than el cheapo off eBay.

:yeahthat:
The original clutch has been specified by the manufacturer to transmit all the power of the engine, with an adequate margin. A clutch capable of transmitting more power will require either a larger diameter, a heavier clamp load, or both. The larger diameter option is difficult as it would require new fixing holes on the flywheel, doubtful you'd get them right, or it would be expensive. A heavier clamp load is easy to create, but that results in a heavier pedal action, and more difficult to engage gently, so more likely to give jerky starts, or judder.

The manufacturer does know best.

They don't always. There was a recall on some, IIRC. Generally, clutch judder is down to worn gearbox mounts. Clutches on the FIRE and SuperFIRE engines are generally unproblematic unless you're in the habit of riding the clutch.

I am putting a power flex bush on the lower gearbox reaction mount and need to pull the battery etc. out to check the other gearbox mount I am hoping it is well worn as when I change from 1st to 2nd the engine judders when I disengage the clutch.

Back