Technical Uno stalls and dies

Currently reading:
Technical Uno stalls and dies

Jadelaoch

I need help please.
Drive an Uno Mia 1.1 2000 model.

I drive and then the car just cuts out, (loses power) sometimes it starts immediately other times I have to wait.

I have changed the module of the distributor as well as distributor cap 3 years ago when it also did something similar. The module becomes really hot and takes time to cool down.

I drove from town yesterday started fine the morning, drove to town (about 6km) started when I drove from the mall. I stopped at the other centre and when I wanted to restart 15 minutes later nothing. Eventually after about 20 minutes it started and I drove 5 meters, cut out again. Started after about 10 minutes, raced home. Stopped in front, dead.

Started after about an hour.

It cranks but just refuses to start.

I don't know whether it can be the distributor module again as it seems very hot even after an hour.

I am beyond exasperated. The mechanic cannot find the problem either.

Any suggestions?
:(

That´s caused by a worn butterfly-valve potentiometer
on the SPI injector . The ECU gets no feedback and shuts the engine off.
Hope you will find a replacement that is still working. You can check the potentiometer with a oscilloscope. If you unmount the worn one be sure to mark the position. You can see if it´s worn by the blank spots on the surface.

The Uno Mia as sold in South Africa is a carburetor model only. As such there isn't all that much that can go wrong. There has been a lot of discussion about this problem over the years as it seems to be a common problem usually relating to the distributor and / or attached module. There have been some interesting attempts to keep it cool as well.

Totally agree. The distributor is a common problem. Will be changing the module and distributor cap and rotor this weekend. (my sister and I, 2 girls) as the mechanic couldn't even pick up my battery was leaking acid. Bought the car from my sister but the maintenance was bad on it. Worked in the technical industry so I have basic knowledge and I actually service the Uno myself (besides the oil drain as I just don't want to get under the car). It drove fine from work last night (5km) stopped at home. Shut off, opened garage doors, no start. Left it for 2 hours and it started. Drove it in, shut off, no start. Module was hot couldn't even touch it where a minute before it was fine and that's just from pulling into the garage. Have an extra one so that's easy. I feel like a YouTube Mechanic but I believe a woman should be able to fix stuff incase you have no choice (like now).

Hi
Re. my previous post.You will need to remove the distributor, make a mark for the timing when you put it back again. Pull the cap off, then rotor. Unscrew the module from the side. Two wires go inside the body. You will see a plate, lever it out carefully, noting where the shims and spacers fit..This plate is the ignition pick up sensor. Check the two wires for breaks and condition. There is a bearing on the sensor that can wear over time, if it is wobbly on the shaft, then replace it anyway. I will try to find a photo of the sensor to help you

Back