General Uno Pacer overheating

Currently reading:
General Uno Pacer overheating

Elmeri

My Uno Pacer has been overheating and cutting out all of a sudden. After a little while it starts again and I can drive further. This started happening after I had a pressure test done on the car.
I was told that cylinder 2 and 3 are under productive and they need to open the head to see what the problem is. This will cost me anything from R3000 to R13 000 depending on what should be fixed. This can take anything from 5 working days to 3 weeks depending on the availability of the spares.

I am considering getting another engine, but was told the 1400 engines are in short supply and might cost a pretty penny. Can I have any other engine put in or must it only be a Uno engine.

Thanks for the assistance

Did they open the engine and actually take down the cylinder head, or they only made a pressure test? Maybe its just a coincidence and not related to the pressure test... You should test the thermostat... Take it out and put it into boiling water... If it opens it works good. When you drain the cooling water check if there is any oil in it. If there is oil then the head gasket is leaking. It can cause overheating... Fire engines are very common and cheaper if you thinking replacing the engine... Sure it will be slower but as I know fire engines are very reliable...

1400 is alot heavier withh little power increase and not as reliable as the 1100 either.

If you used antifreeze, it might just be the headgasket, they tend to suffer from gasket rot and need replacement every 50000k to be safe and save money.

If the waterways coroded it might need to have the head welded up and tappets set up again, about 2500 for the refitment parts boltsd and gaskets as well as the engineering work... then add what the mac wants to install.

Lol you can fit any engine, but if you need to ask the question, the skills involved may escape you.

Thanks for the reply, will have the mac check out the engine for these.

Thanks for the reply, not to worry, I have a good mac that will do the replacement.

Hi,
Need some advise again....A while back the my Uno would cut out and then would not start immediatly, after a few minutes it would start again.

I had the coil replaced and it seem to solve the problem.
Last week it did the same, the engine cut out and died.
Today after driving about 60 km at 100/120 km per hour, it backfires three times and the engine wanted to die again. I pulled off the road and let it idle a little and then the engine died. I left it a few minutes, started the car and drove home.
Please I need advice. I stay in the Vaal and does not know of a mechanic that knows Uno. I tried getting it another engine, but it seems that it's going to cost me the price of a small car.

I got the car earlier this year and it seems to be 2007 model. I do not know what the service history of the car is. It has over 300 000km on the clock.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Back