Unknown fiat, please help?

Currently reading:
Unknown fiat, please help?

gearheadgtc

I work at an impound lot, this car was brought in about 15 years ago. It was rolled over and we have no records on this car. Up until now, we never paid any attention as to what it was. Here are a couple pics of what's left and of the plates in the engine bay. If anyone knows anything about the car, that would be great.

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Attachments

• 70-Giannini-Monza_DV-08_WWA_01.jpg
    70-Giannini-Monza_DV-08_WWA_01.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 70-Giannini-Monza_DV-08_WWA_i02.jpg
    70-Giannini-Monza_DV-08_WWA_i02.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So could I rebuild the engine using 850 parts? Is there anything worth anything in this car? The chassis is pretty much rusted through, but everything else is still there.

I'd like to at least rebuild the engine, can anyone help? Is it even worth rebuilding? I've been offered $500 for the entire car, is that reasonable?

as a project its going to be a difficult one, I'm sure parts availability in the United state for this engine is pretty limited and components of that engine look as rotten as the body of the car.
classic cars don't really hold value in the states compared to the UK, which diminishes the resale value of the engine once restored, unless you were to ship it to europe where there would be more call for the engine.

it is very sad to see that little car in the state it is, i am sure it would look fantastic if fully restored but i think that as its so rotten and in such a mess you would be better off letting it return to the earth.

only you can answer if it is worth restoration work if you can at least turn the engine over by hand that would be a start, i think any parts are going to have to come mail order from europe though.

Damn fine spot there Davren. The 850 spider/coupe had (I think) the larger 903cc four cylinder but in the US I have something at the back of my mind that says they used a higher compression version of the smaller 843cc motor which I seem to remember had something to do with emissions regulations not applying to engines below a certain size. 50 CID rings a bell.

The Moretti is probably a better known version of a Carozzeria building their own body onto a FIAT chassis. The 903 engine carried on well after the 850 went to its grave and powered the 127 and even early versons of the Punto which was available over here into the late '80s.

As for using 850 parts to rebuild it, well I don't see why not, it does depend though on what level of originality you want. If, on a vehicle this age, emissions regs are largely irrelevant, you could use a 903 sourced in Europe, but body panels will be much harder to come by. As it carries chassis no. 00002 there is an implication that it has some historical importance that would require a rebuild with the original engine in place as that will increase the value. There's obviously no point in spending $20,000 on it only to find out it's only worth $2,000.

Cars like the FIAT Dino Coupe and Spider can be bought in top notch condition for £20,000 to £25,000. It uses basically the same mechanicals as the Ferrari Dino 206 and 246 but is worth 20% to 25% as much as Enzo's car while costing the same to maintain.

If you do rebuild it faithfully then if you're married your other half is going to have to get used to having bits of engine in the bath and transmission components in the kitchen sink.

Obtaining a value for a restored model would be a good first move, and you only need to look at used Camaros to see how important to value matching numbers are. Tried buying an original Z28 with matching numbers recently?

Lot # 450 1971 OTAS Grand Prix Coupe; S/N 100GBS10114205; Engine # 100GB0001895704; Lime Green/Black vinyl; Estimate $24,000 - $26,000; Older restoration, 3- condition; Hammered Sold at $24,000 plus commission of 17.00%; Final Price $28,080 -- Tiny 817cc rear-mounted engine, Alpine cassette stereo with equalizer, Ferrero steering wheel with curdled plastic rim, chrome wire wheels. Fair repaint, sound interior, cracked rubber seals. Dirty engine and chassis. Weak chrome. Dirty dashboard. Generally scuzzy and unattractive. OK, this is the benchmark in 820cc OTAS coupe prices. Well, except for the one sold by RM in Monterey in 2000, suspiciously also painted Lime Green but with chassis number 0047. It brought $6,600. The buyer of that OTAS must today feel like Warren Buffet.

Source (c/w photo):
http://www.sportscardigest.com/greenwich-concours-auction-report-2010-bonhams/

if its worth $28k restored (although that ad states the last one sold only made $6,600) then it might be worth a bit more than $500 even in its current condition. however it would require some serious restoration including lots of metal being replace. and expensive hard to find parts, a new engine cover on its own would probably cost a fortune and it seems to be missing door?
maybe bonnet?
and has seen some pretty significant damage when it rolled

auctions are not always a great indication of a cars worth, it could well be at that moment there were two people in the world who really wanted that car and now one of those people have one so might not reach anywhere near that now if put into auction, would you want to take the gamble of spending $15k + restoring a pile of rust. to then only get $10k for it.
and no $28k was not mint condition but i think it was a great deal better than the one above, it also has some nice touches like wire wheels the one above doesn't have

All of the body and chassis is still there, just rusted beyond belief. It may be restorable, but most of the chassis will need to be replaced. I picked up the door sill off the ground, as it had completely rusted off the car. How would I restore this, just weld new steel in place of the majorly rusted parts?

Well, I don't really have the time or money to restore this car. Is there anyone in the USA who would like to buy it? Or someone outside the US who would pay to have it shipped?

Back