General Unbelieveable P&P

Currently reading:
General Unbelieveable P&P

Bigvtwin996

Established member
following on from David's thread regarding the gasket and P&P charges

"I have found one in the axel gerstl catalogue but postage to the UK is €13.50 for an 0.60 item"

Well just recently I wanted to buy a Lucas style toggle switch
£12 switch from Farnells UK
total cost with P&P and handling £42

Clone from China £5.98 inc post!!!

I ordered from China.. simple as....
but Farnells required me to register with their site, then apply for a trade account before they would even give me a price...

And they ask why the UK struggles in the International market...

I recall something similar with the "Swiftune" condenser.

Think yourself lucky that you don't live in the Peoples' Republic of Scotland; many sellers on eBay point blank refuse to deliver up here or else they slap on eye-watering surcharges.

I don't think it's valid to criticise a company like AG as they have a flat-rate and will not penalise you if you order several massive boxes of stuff. The hassle for them in picking one small, low-value part and packing it off to the UK will completely eliminate the profit margin.

Some companies capitalise on the fact that many couriers bump up the charges for Scotland, when for many things they could use Parcelforce and pass on the benefit of the universal rates.

.......Think yourself lucky that you don't live in the Peoples' Republic of Scotland; many sellers on eBay point blank refuse to deliver up here or else they slap on eye-watering surcharges......

I thought it was because the had to get over that bloody big wall someone built to keep the Sasunnach's out (note the spelling!!)

Chinese post is cheap because the UN class them as a developing country and they get a $1 per kilo rate for bulk lots of packages. See
www.vatfraud.org/blog/stop-subsidising-chinese-post-via-united-nations-universal-postal-union-upu-terminal-dues/

With Farnell you should not have to register or get a trade account to see prices and you can order with just a credit card. For personal items you are better off going to their sister company CPC

https://cpc.farnell.com/

Robert G8RPI.

From Farnell
"[FONT=&quot]Good afternoon [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For an official quotation you will need to create an account. You can request an account at www.Farnell.com (under “My Account”, “Apply for Trade Account”).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once you receive your Farnell account number and customer ID please send this to us and we can looking to processing your request."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It is a very specific switch... and I will be ordering a fair few if it does what I want... CPC don't list it
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And I can order similar from the US and Europe where P&P etc is no more than £3-4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just thought that ordering from a UK stockist would be far simpler ...
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would love to order one from Farnells to just see the quality of the packaging and how it is "handled" that makes it so special...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Still does not justify £36 for [/FONT]a simple 4x6 jiffy bag and a stamp... It is classed as large letter.... I wonder if it is silk lined..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

@Bigvtwin996

I just double checked and you do not even have to register to order from Farnell. Go to https://uk.farnell.com/ find the item you want (prices are on the page) click add to basket, when you have everything click on checkout, review order, click on checkout securely, select checkout without registering enter your address and card details and off you go. Postage is free over a certain spend (£20 IIRC).

The pacage I got from thm earlier this week was a small cardboard box with each item in a plastic bag, antistatic if required and bubblewrap.
With Farnell you are getting genuine parts, fast delivery and proper packing. If you register you don't have to enter all your details each time you order.

Why did you ask for a quote? I've used Farnell for decades, personally and with various companies and never had to ask for a formal quotation.

Robert G8RPI.

@Bigvtwin996

...........Why did you ask for a quote? I've used Farnell for decades, personally and with various companies and never had to ask for a formal quotation.

Robert G8RPI.

because when I called them they said "for your request we will need to quote you.... please send an email and we will reply with details of how to do so"
It is a long and complicated tale that actually took me round the world....

I recently ordered a sheet of F500 decals, the A4 type which include engine bay warning sticker, clear windscreen running in label etc.

Ricambio UK online shop quoted over £7.00 p&p!!!

My advice is unless you are very rich or very desperate, vote with your feet and go elsewhere. I did and got same decals cheeper and free p&p from Autobella.

I think some of these firms play on the fact that they are regarded as the first place to look for parts. Shop around.

It still makes me chuckle that a lot of items, especially a large order can work out cheaper and arrive quicker if ordered from abroad rather than UK.

Stuart.

I think some of these firms play on the fact that they are regarded as the first place to look for parts. Shop around.

When I buy internationally I always ask if they can ship via std surface mail I don't mind waiting 3 weeks rather than have UPS F15 deliver it next day...

I normally use 12vPlannet for all my electrical stuff, they are reliable and charge £2.95flat rate shipping and free over £100, but they could not get what I wanted..

Back