General UConnect Live faff

Currently reading:
General UConnect Live faff

Well can someone explain this uconnect stuff to me.

On my 500X on the Apps button/page/screen I have stuff like compass etc. and uConnect Live.

When I open uConnect Live all I see is info like acceleration, gear changes, eco etc.

Am I right in assuming that this is the default stuff and all the bells and whistles do not occur till the onboard app is connected via a mobile phone data connection?

What is the purpose of the uConnect app for the phone? Is the phone app the data bridge/connection between the cars app and whatever service uConnect Live offer?

I'm confused as to why a 3rd party (mobile phone app) is actually required. The onboard car app should have been made to use a phone data connection (or wifi internet connection) itself thus bypassing the requirement for yet another app on the phone.

Well can someone explain this uconnect stuff to me.

On my 500X on the Apps button/page/screen I have stuff like compass etc. and uConnect Live.

When I open uConnect Live all I see is info like acceleration, gear changes, eco etc.

Am I right in assuming that this is the default stuff and all the bells and whistles do not occur till the onboard app is connected via a mobile phone data connection?

What is the purpose of the uConnect app for the phone? Is the phone app the data bridge/connection between the cars app and whatever service uConnect Live offer?

I'm confused as to why a 3rd party (mobile phone app) is actually required. The onboard car app should have been made to use a phone data connection (or wifi internet connection) itself thus bypassing the requirement for yet another app on the phone.

The speed, braking, acceleration etc is, as you say, the default stuff that I never look at. The app on your phone also stores things like fuel level, mileage tyre pressures etc etc if you're interested

The magic happens in the Nav section

Your Info button should be a different colour and offer slightly more options when you press it.

This is TomTom Live which is the only bit of uConnect I bother with. Real time traffic, speed cameras and other info, supposedly superior to the built-in TMC function. The speed camera alerts drive me crazy, but I'm willing to assume for now that there is a way to reduce them that I haven't found yet. Max 2 per camera is enough for me not 6-12.

Finally sorted! Then had some fannying about to get the system up and running. It ran an update. Made my phone crash. Didn't like my Deezer credentials. Then stopped liking Bluetooth. But finally I'm there!

Just playing around with it in the car now. First thing I've noticed is that the Deezer stream sounds a lot richer through the live services than it does through normal media streaming. Does the media streaming function throttle back the quality? It takes a little longer to flick through tracks on live too and says buffering. So I guess there could be something to my theory above. Am connecting through 4G. But annoyed that even using the dedicated app, I can't fast forward.

The screen, since the update, also tells me that I'm on 4G now. Didn't before.

Will mess around with the navigation at some point

And carry on looking for a list of voice commands for UConnect!

Ok, I now have a UConnect system that won't whatever I try, stop bleeping like a heart monitor every time I approach a speed camera. Or a traffic light camera. Or a danger zone. It all came on when the system updated after UConnect Live was activated. And now it won't turn off. Both in the navigation settings and the TomTom live settings. Anyone had this before? What do I need to do to stop it? Driving me mad!

Last edited:
Ok, I now have a UConnect system that won't whatever I try, stop bleeping like a heart monitor every time I approach a speed camera. Or a traffic light camera. Or a danger zone. It all came on when the system updated after UConnect Live was activated. And now it won't turn off. Both in the navigation settings and the TomTom live settings. Anyone had this before? What do I need to do to stop it? Driving me mad!

I had the same problem, I turned them off completely in the uConnect Nav settings, then tried various options in the TomTom Live camera settings. I THINK that setting the majority of them to Speeding cut down the number of beeps I was getting, it certainly dies rive you mad, I assume it's the Report Camera facility that's to blame, people reporting the same camera from a slightly different location.

If anybody knows how to reduce the alerts to one or two per camera I'm sure many people will be grateful.

If anybody knows how to reduce the alerts to one or two per camera I'm sure many people will be grateful.

I hope so otherwise I won't try to enable the Live features and will just stick with the basic system. I've managed without Live for two years and only have a PayAsYouGo phone anyway so using on board mapping/navigation is far cheaper.

I hope so otherwise I won't try to enable the Live features and will just stick with the basic system. I've managed without Live for two years and only have a PayAsYouGo phone anyway so using on board mapping/navigation is far cheaper.

The good news is that the live services don't munch huge amounts of data. 2,300 miles round France, over 10 days, catching up with emails plus a bit of surfing etc etc didn't come anywhere close to using up my Roaming allowance

Back