Technical Tyres!

Currently reading:
Technical Tyres!

phantomactive

Hi, can anybody recommend tyres for my MW I know I need 205/55/16V. What is the best tyres that aren't going to break the bank. (n)

Hi, can anybody recommend tyres for my MW I know I need 205/55/16V. What is the best tyres that aren't going to break the bank. (n)

Look for some Enduro tyres. I use 195/65/15 and they are good, about 15-20k miles in Wales (loads of bendy roads so wear is quicker) on front tyres. Don't know about the cost for 205/55/16 but you should be able to find a reasonable price ~£50-£60/tyre. They are economy class (cheap ones) but feel like mid-range class in my opinion.
If anyone knows some better tyres, I'm listening as I need to change them in a couple of weeks time for the MOT.

Andy

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
thanks guys :)
this is the first replacement I've had to do since i have owned it. considering a alloy/tyre bundle if it is too expensive!
contrediction i know as its more expensive to do that but if I'm spending a bomb i may as well spend a bomb and give the car some spanking shoes!:slayer::bang::slayer:

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi, can anybody recommend tyres for my MW? I know I need 205/55/16V. What are the best tyres that aren't going to break the bank. (n)

I’m in favour of going mid-range.

I wouldn’t want to pay more for a premium tyre where a mid-range was marginally equal-to in performance - & I wouldn’t want to pay for an economy/budget if I could get a mid-range for marginally the same price.

If your load/speed spec is 91V – then I wouldn’t necessarily go for UHP if a touring class covers it.

Tyre labels – the more `green’ the better …

http://www.bettertyres.org.uk/_uploads/buying-better-tyres/summer tyre list.pdf

------------
GP 1.2/8v 185/65R15 88T Fulda EcoControl
Croma 1.9/16v 225/45R18 XL95Y Falken FK452

Im using continental sport contact 2's. They are infinitely better than the Falcons i had on previous.

If this site is the real deal these are ridiculously cheap. My 18's were £150 each. :eek:

my personal opinion is get the best tyres you can afford. i would think nothing of spending a few extra pennys on a set of Pirelli, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Dunlop or Avon. i know in these times of recession that is easier to say rather than do but at the end of the day the premium tyres are better at stopping than cheap tyres. so hopefully you are never put in the situation that you need to stop that quickly but if you stop on premium tyres its cheaper than not stopping on cheap tyres.

my personal opinion is get the best tyres you can afford. i would think nothing of spending a few extra pennys on a set of Pirelli, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Dunlop or Avon. i know in these times of recession that is easier to say rather than do but at the end of the day the premium tyres are better at stopping than cheap tyres. so hopefully you are never put in the situation that you need to stop that quickly but if you stop on premium tyres its cheaper than not stopping on cheap tyres.

Point well taken sir! You gave me second thoughts now if I should go with mid-class (as per usual) or premium tyres. I've had a few close calls like people braking hard in front of me while going down hill cause they forgot to take a left or stuff like that.

I've got Blades on our Multiwagon with a full set of Goodyear F1 Eagles(GSD3) 225/45/17 fitted, brilliant tyres, I highly recommend them.

They've got built in rim protectors, very useful for when my missus drives.

Here's a pic of one taken a few minutes ago. Yes I know she's dirty, you would be too if you'd done the miles she's done this week.

28012012073.jpg

Last edited:

Goto www.tyreshopper.co.uk

We have 4 x Barum Bravius 2's ( Mid Range Tyre, made by Continental ) £65 a corner fitted. Kwik Fit wanted £92 a corner fitted. Also they are the same size as you, but Y rated. Y being better than V.

Back