General Tyre width, too narrow!

Currently reading:
General Tyre width, too narrow!

I can recommend this bottle jack as one of the best available out there.

LR_bottle_jack.jpg

It is Land Rover branded with nice V shape top mount, that one on the photo isn't mine but same one.

The advantage is the lift speed ( max 10 full pumps and you at max hight) lift range is perfect for wheels swap for my Sisley, both wheels front or rear lifted at ones. Wood block used as front jacking point adapter.

Bought it from scarappy for a £5, engine hoist lift handle fits perfectly so assuming its standard size.

edit: looking on ebay now and they are worth much more then £5.

Last edited:
I seem to remember they make the car ride quite well, but im still traumatized by a complete failure to navigate a wet corner on 135/80s.

I'm getting all the existing steel wheels (including the spare) blasted and painted along with all new tyres. The existing 135/80 R13 tyres' rubber is cracking in some cases and I feel something wider would avoid a situation as described in the above quote. After looking at various threads and referring to the Panda's handbook as well as Haynes I still wish to ask the following as I'm a bit confused by the differing responses. :confused:

155/65 SR 13 were an option as stated in Haynes and the manual. Can these be fitted to my existing (135/80R13) steel wheels? This may sound laughable, but I simply don't know and thought perhaps different wheel rims were provided for the larger tyres when originally selected; I have a vision in my head of tyres peeling off their rims like a Matchbox toy when cornering if wrong tyres and rim combination is used.

What does the SR refer to in the tyre size? As usual Google gives differing answers like 'speed rating' and 'steel radial'.

Why does Fiat state that 155/65 were an option yet mine are 135/80? Surely they should be the same except their widths? A difference in diameter will affect the speedo.

Does the wider 155/65 R13 make an appreciable difference in grip without a serious impact on fuel consumption?

Will the 155/65 R13 spare fit OK under the bonnet?

Has anyone using larger than 155/65 R13 had problems with them rubbing the arches and bodywork especially on cornering?

I'm keeping my Panda pretty much as standard but with safety in mind I'm going for bigger tyres on the same 13" wheel diameter. The 155/65 R13 or indeed a 155/80 R13 are what I'm thinking of going for but before I go and buy five new tyres I'd be glad of some opinions.

Attachments

• 20170120_220523.jpg
    20170120_220523.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20170120_220246.jpg
    20170120_220246.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
The 80 is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width, therefore a 155/80 would be considerably bigger than a 135/80.

As far as I know the rim width was the same for both sizes, and you should have no troubles fitting 155s. Also they will fit under the bonnet with no problems.

155/70 is another option, these are more easily available now and therefore cheaper and are actually closer to 135/80 size wise compared to 155/65. A ran a car with this size and the speedo was pretty much bang on. No trouble with clearance either.

I've not driven a car back to back with the different sizes but others have told me they do make a good noticeable difference, I can't see fuel consumption going up much if at all.

re. the diameter thing, those are about the same due to the genius way tyres are labelled. On the 135/80/13 the measurements are 135mm width, sidewall is 80% of the width, 13" rim diameter. So on the 155/65/13 the 65 part is 65% of the 155 width - roughly the same as the 80% of 135... ish. Those numbers are really all you need to worry about with mainstream tyre labelling, you're unlikely to accidentally come across cross plys these days and while there is a letter that denotes speed rating they are all specced well beyond what a Panda's going to do so no worries there.
From my experience, I tried a swap from 135 to 155 tyres on my Uno years ago but I think the rims are slightly wider when they are fitted as standard (anyone know? I don't own a standard set of rims from either tyre size to look) so while they fitted just fine it felt very soft as the tyres flexed more on the rim. Unless you're changing rims too I'd go for 135's again but buy decent ones and if possible avoid 'eco' tyres - low rolling resistance is great for economy but compromises on grip, and on a Panda it's not going to make a huge difference anyway. Getting wider rims (Punto or new Panda maybe) opens up your choices a lot You can usually pick 13" steels up dirt cheap when folks fit alloys, then whack your original trims on for a standard look if you want. The main advantage is going to 155/65 or 165/65 (fit fine too) it's a much more common tyre size so there's more to choose from and often cheaper.

edit: or as above due to my slow typing..
It was 155/70 I swapped to on the Uno and back to back - it never felt as good.

Last edited:
155/70 is another option, these are more easily available now and therefore cheaper and are actually closer to 135/80 size wise compared to 155/65. A ran a car with this size and the speedo was pretty much bang on. No trouble with clearance either.

I've decided on the 155/70s; thanks for this suggestion. :) I've got some of the rims blasted and repainted (doing all of them in two stages) and getting them fitted tomorrow after pre-ordering on Blackcircles. Should be a good job.(y)

Got three of the tyres replaced today with 'Dunlop Street Response 2' 155/70 R13s and they look good on the newly painted rims I'd collected yesterday. I know firstcar-Y10 had said he'd changed his Uno's tyres to 155/70 and it never felt as good, and I won't know how I feel about them for months yet (SORNed) but I wanted better grip purely for safety reasons alone.

I've now got the tyres off the last two rims so they can get blasted and painted. However before ordering the next two tyres from Blackcircles, I tried one of the new 155/70s for fit under the bonnet and it fits just as panda1408 said it would, but just and no more, at the corner nearest the wing and headlamp. I'm wanting to fit 20mm sound deadening on the bonnet's underside and this will certainly prevent the bonnet from closing correctly with a 155/70, but a 135/80 will fit fine.

I could sound proof the bonnet except for the tight spot where the tyre is in the way, but I'm now thinking that perhaps I could use a 135/80 as a spacesaver spare tyre instead. I could cut a lump out of the tyre at the corner where it's tight against the bonnet, but MOT inspector might not be impressed by the large piece of missing rubber. :doh:

Does anyone know of any problems that could arrise from a 135/80 being on other end of an axle having a 155/70? Given panda1408 and firstcar-Y10's explanations I can't see a problem, but now that I'm potentially mixing two tyres on same axle albeit for a short duration until a puncture's repaired, I'm wondering is there something else I'm not aware of apart from the maximum speed being reduced to 50 MPH. My Cinquecento used to have a space saver tyre but that was as per the manufacturer; Panda didn't come the same way from Fiat and I don't want something stupid like a spare wheel size to be the cause of a failed MOT.

Does anyone know of any problems that could arrise from a 135/80 being on other end of an axle having a 155/70? Given panda1408 and firstcar-Y10's explanations I can't see a problem, but now that I'm potentially mixing two tyres on same axle albeit for a short duration until a puncture's repaired, I'm wondering is there something else I'm not aware of apart from the maximum speed being reduced to 50 MPH. My Cinquecento used to have a space saver tyre but that was as per the manufacturer; Panda didn't come the same way from Fiat and I don't want something stupid like a spare wheel size to be the cause of a failed MOT.

Any wheel used as a spare that is not identical to the others brings the speed restriction of 50mph. With a different size, grip and handling may suffer, so care is needed when in use.

If you choose a smaller spare, you'll still need space for the others if you ever get a puncture. Having to drive with the bonnet on the safety catch after a puncture brings another risk of the bonnet letting go. Maybe fit the insulation and trim just enough to allow the big spare to sit?

I had 155/65x13s as standard on my '92 1000 CLX, they were smaller diameter that the skinny 135/80s fitted to the more basic Pandas, but I assumed that was because the 1000s had a 5 speed gearbox. I don't remember exactly what size the spare was, but I think it was 155/65 also.

I put the original tyres on a set of (5) MIM alloys, and had a mixture of part-worn 135/80 and 155/70 tyres put on the skinny steel rims. I'm sure they fitted fine under the bonnet.

So you should have no problem with a 155/70 as a spare, equally a 135 would be fine but if you wrecked one of your 4 main tyres you could just use the extra 155/70 as a matching replacement.

Since the original 155/65 tyres were squeezed awkwardly onto the steel rims, the "standard" tyres I would have replaced them with would have been 145/70s, which were the size used by the Cinquecento.

As regards the soundproofing, I'd just avoid the tyre area since the wheel and tyre will deadedn a lot of noise anyway...

Incidentally all my tyres were 90s Pirelli... good old P8s originally with P4 replacements.

Any wheel used as a spare that is not identical to the others brings the speed restriction of 50mph. With a different size, grip and handling may suffer, so care is needed when in use.

If you choose a smaller spare, you'll still need space for the others if you ever get a puncture. Having to drive with the bonnet on the safety catch after a puncture brings another risk of the bonnet letting go. Maybe fit the insulation and trim just enough to allow the big spare to sit?
Thanks portland_bill and bluejohn125 for advice.

I know if I accommodate for and use a 135/80 as a spare and soundproof the entire bonnet I'll not be able to fit the damaged tyre in the same place, but I could always place it in the boot until I got it repaired.

I'm only replacing the tyres as all four of the main tyres (all Pirellis) had cracked rubber but otherwise have lots of tread left; the spare (Goodyear) has some wear but perfectly legal amount of tread and no cracked rubber. As I was replacing the tyres I've taken the opportunity to upgrade to 155/70s for grip and better braking but would be happy enough to keep the 135/80 Goodyear as a spacesaver spare especially as it would still permit the soundproofing to cover the entire bonnet. My concern was the imbalance of different sizes on the same axle when the spare is used, I can accept the speed restriction but wasn't sure that there wasn't something I wasn't aware of that also needs to be considered like suspension and steering, as the Panda wouldn't have originally been produced with spacesaver spares. If the only affect is a speed restriction and a difference in handling then I can live with that, I just didn't want to be told at the MOT that a spacesaver is not acceptable as the manufacturer never intended it to be that way and therefore it will put some strain on a ball joint or something else. I'm not technically aware of cars and anything outside the standard spec I always like to ask.

I'm only going to be using the Panda for the Spring and Summer months as it will be SORNed the rest of the year. In the 12 years I owned the Cinq. the spacesaver was only ever used once which is why I'm happy to do something similar with the Panda. I'll only be doing about 3,000 miles a year at the very most.

I've replaced Pirellis a number of times over the years due to cracked rubber when there's plenty of tread still left so I've decided to try these Dunlops for a change.

Last edited:
I think you're doing the right thing holding onto the old Goodyear spare, it will be absolutely fine for the purpose.

It's hard to say which wheeltrims are best for your car... I always thought that the CL was basic and so had the simple black plastic centre caps. The 1000S had the 5-speed box, full wheeltrims ( :cool: ) and the plastic door trims, but my slightly later CLX (92 K plate) had just the little silver centre trims and a CLX "sticker" on each rear wing. Then the last of the CLXs went back to the full wheeltrims and side mouldings, plus the roof bars ( (n) ).

Hi! I drive a Marbella, bought it with 145/80r13 winter tyres on the original 4,5x13 ET45 rims.
As I know: Original sizes are 4 or 4,5x13 wheels and 135/80, 145/70, 155/65, or 155/70 13" tyres. Diameters are from smallest to biggest: 155/65-145/70-135/80-155/70
They were worn or got flats after many miles, so got reallly cheap... a set of 155/80r13 summer tyres on 5x13 ET48. Front it was fine, but rear it was too inside and at bumps the tyre reached the chassis, so I wore them off on front, while had the 145/80r13 rear. I drive sometime harsh, but had no problem.
Had once on rear a pair of 5x13 ET38 Fiat 131 wheels saved from my dad's old car with 135/80r13 summer tyres (was a bonus for the car). Was fine, and looked really good, but got problem with age and rust, didn't kept the air for too long.
She had once temporarly VAZ 2109 wheels (4,5x13 ET40 about) at front with 165/70r13 summer tyres. They were ok, but I think a bit wide for an avarage Panda/Marbella.
And for winter (here in Hungary) I bought Cinq 4,5x13 ET35 wheels with 145/70r13 winter tyres. I still use them, they are surprisingly quiet and keep well enough in corners.
I have a 14" project, so testfitted dumped 165/70r14 summer tyres on 5,5x14 ET35 wheels. On front when turning, it can reach the chassis before doors, and on rear they reach the plactic side covers. Plus She lost a lot of torque. :p
I got a set of cheap and used 155/65r14 summer tyres, I'll put them on for summer.

Conclusion for me: With 145/70r13 she is slower than the speedo, but responsive and bit quicker.
With 135/80r13 she is still slower than speedo, but it's the original size.
With 145/80r13 the speedo is fine, and she goes well.
With 155/80r13 the speedo is perfectly correct ( at least by my gps), but she's a bit less responsive, but still goes fine.
SO, long story's short: For a daily driver I would use 145/80r13 on 4,5 (original) or 5" wide rim,
if someone wants more quick and grip than 155/70 on 5" wide, or even more grip, than 165/70r13 :D . Or 155/65r14 on 5 or 5,5" wide rim, and under ET40 but over ET30, so the speedo will not cheat much and will fit under the car.
If someone tuned the engine, than I would go up to max 165/65r14 or 175/60r14, since that's big enough and wide enough for a Panda/Marbella weight. :)
Sorry for the tons of lines, I hope I could help. :)

Back