General Tyre recommendations

Currently reading:
General Tyre recommendations

I need to replace my Goodyear Efficient Grips that came on the car when new, have done about 46k so not bad. Happy to use the same again but just checking if anyone has any other suggestions or has had particularly good experiences with an alternative

In general terms, Avon I was impressed with a different make. Very grippy and soft rubber which may help now weather colder. Only tyre ever come across without "the sheen" a new tyre often has. If you were considering set of winter tyres you'd leave on, I have Goodyear Ultragrip 9's on my 4x4. Been brilliant in summer. Grip in winter amazing.

In general terms, Avon I was impressed with a different make. Very grippy and soft rubber which may help now weather colder. Only tyre ever come across without "the sheen" a new tyre often has. If you were considering set of winter tyres you'd leave on, I have Goodyear Ultragrip 9's on my 4x4. Been brilliant in summer. Grip in winter amazing.

Yep I have ultragrip 9’s too and stick them on around new year until mid March, used them in heavy snow and ice 2 years ago and they were great but lack of clearance in the 500 can get you eventually despite the grip and traction. I’ll probably go with the same tyres again as at least I know what to expect

After some very favourable experiences with Michelin Cross-Climates on another car, my wife wants all-season tyres on her 500C. The local tyre fitters have offered some Nexens at a reasonable price, so we may give those a try.I assume they are Nexen Blue. Anyone used them?

TrevC maybe premium brand full winters. Nexen don't do that well as all seasons.

I've lost count on how many tyre threads come up! No real secret, you buy the best you can afford simple. Obviously you look for bargain buys. Then again you ask yourself what type of driving you do & do the roads in your area require heavy duty tyres, do you drive like loon etc. On my £30 year tax daily driver I really don't need the bestest tyre out there for toodling round town for instance.

I don't want the faff of a set of winter tyres that I have to swap every 6 months. I looked at the Evo test of all season tyres and the Nexens came fourth, behind Michelins, Goodyears and Nokians. Wet and dry tests were second only to the Michelin, and it was in the top 3 for all of the snow tests, deep water test being its only weak area. I think the Nokians are normally best for serious snow use, but worse in the summer, so as I live in the balmy south of England I think we'll give those a miss.

I don't want the faff of a set of winter tyres that I have to swap every 6 months. I looked at the Evo test of all season tyres and the Nexens came fourth, behind Michelins, Goodyears and Nokians. Wet and dry tests were second only to the Michelin, and it was in the top 3 for all of the snow tests, deep water test being its only weak area. I think the Nokians are normally best for serious snow use, but worse in the summer, so as I live in the balmy south of England I think we'll give those a miss.

Back