Technical Twinair oil and plug advice sought

Currently reading:
Technical Twinair oil and plug advice sought

TrevC

Established member
My TA lounge will be 4 years old in the new year and due its second major service, which will be done by my trusted local mechanic. He's happy to use parts I provide, and last year I gave him some Castrol Edge 5W40 that was on offer at Costco, for an oil/filter change.
I've just seen an oil offer from Eurocarparts - they list the following suitable oils (all fully synthetic, C3, 5W40, 4l quantity) and wondered what the forum experts advised:
Castrol Magnatec C3 - £24.99 (Actually quotes Fiat 9.55535-S2)
Triple QX Synplus - £24.99
Petronus Syntium 3000AV - £19.99
I have a vague recollection of someone (Maxi?) saying that Petronus was the same as Selenia, but this may be a senior moment.
The spark plugs specified in the handbook are NGK PLKR9C8. Various mention has been made on the forum of the benefit of Iridium plugs. Does anyone know if there are Iridium equivalents of these, and where to source them.
Thanks folks

My TA lounge will be 4 years old in the new year and due its second major service, which will be done by my trusted local mechanic. He's happy to use parts I provide, and last year I gave him some Castrol Edge 5W40 that was on offer at Costco, for an oil/filter change.
I've just seen an oil offer from Eurocarparts - they list the following suitable oils (all fully synthetic, C3, 5W40, 4l quantity) and wondered what the forum experts advised:
I have a vague recollection of someone (Maxi?) saying that Petronus was the same as Selenia, but this may be a senior moment.
The spark plugs specified in the handbook are NGK PLKR9C8. Various mention has been made on the forum of the benefit of Iridium plugs. Does anyone know if there are Iridium equivalents of these, and where to source them.
Thanks folks
as long as the oil is in spec then get the cheapest one! Petronas owns Selenia so there is no difference, except that you have scheming Italian middleman that need a comission out of Selenia sales, which is why the price is higher = ) I personally use Aral 5w-40 C3 which has a price of 6 euros a liter in Greece, so basically the same price as Petronas.

Thanks folks

Pretty sure standard TA plugs are already Iridium!

I have just bought Triple QX Synplus from ECP to put in my 1.2 Lounge. It is on the approved list of oils for VAG and Mercedes so it must be ok.

Thanks folks

Trev, I'd use the Petronas Syntium and these plugs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-F...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4181f761fa

The plugs in the link are a good price, though you might be able to buy cheaper in the NGK branded only range (the genuine plugs are NGK just in a Fiat box)

Also, I'd consider very very carefully about using a cheap oil filter. There have been some forum members I believe who have had a less than satisfactory experience using non genuine filters. Sadly, Fiat branded filters do seem to be very expensive, certainly in the TA range which is odd seeing as I use genuine Fiat branded filters in my Saab 9-3 which I can get for a fiver a piece.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Pretty sure standard TA plugs are already Iridium!

The PLKR9G8's are platinum plugs.

NGK recommend ILKR9G8's for the 85HP TA, which are iridiums.

See page 4 of the NGK catalogue for the decode table. That catalogue is a useful reference & basically contains everything you ever wanted to know about NGK plugs.

Last edited:
Many thanks, guys, just the help I needed. Regarding the filter, I'll leave that to my mechanic, he tends to use geniune parts.

On the topic of oil,

I notice the handbook states 5w40 ACEA C3 for the Twinair.

Whats going to potentially happen is its ACEA: A3 B4 5w40?

Is this going to cause big issues, or its it Fiat being anal?

The main difference between them is the sulphated ash content - A3/B3 has more of this and in consequence is probably a more effective lubricant, but it's not particularly kind to 3way Cats & DPF's.

I'd say the biggest risk on your sister's car is that it might cause premature degradation of the catalytic converter.

It'd certainly be a no-no on a mJet 500.

More info here.

Any particular reason for not just using the correct stuff?

Last edited:
The main difference between them is the sulphated ash content - A3/B3 has more of this and in consequence is probably a more effective lubricant, but it's not particularly kind to 3way Cats & DPF's.

I'd say the biggest risk on your sister's car is that it might cause premature degradation of the catalytic converter.

It'd certainly be a no-no on a mJet 500.

More info here.

Can anyone in Oz suggest a good source for plugs, filters and oil for the Twinair?

Price more than anything, don't get me wrong, I'll happily spend the money if its required, and am aware with DPFs etc on DERVs the needs to be very accurate with oil specs, just curious as to what the requirement on a Petrol engine would be. As a result was just wondering if it were potentially Fiat just being awkward with the petrol models, rather than there being a specific reason for it.

On the topic of oil,

I notice the handbook states 5w40 ACEA C3 for the Twinair.

Whats going to potentially happen is its ACEA: A3 B4 5w40?

Is this going to cause big issues, or its it Fiat being anal?

If you're good with the search, you'll find some TA owners where the incorrect oil was used reporting apparent problems with the Multi-air system. Changing back to the correct spec resolved the issue.

As such UFI's only ever going to get Fiat 9.55535-S2 approved 5w40. Once run in I might consider changing to 0W30 as recommended for later model TA's I suspect I might just see an economy gain. But I'm prepared to have to do back to back oil changes if it goes wrong.

Price more than anything, don't get me wrong, I'll happily spend the money if its required, and am aware with DPFs etc on DERVs the needs to be very accurate with oil specs, just curious as to what the requirement on a Petrol engine would be. As a result was just wondering if it were potentially Fiat just being awkward with the petrol models, rather than there being a specific reason for it.

If you've access to a Costco, they generally keep 5W40 Edge for under £30/4l & it's often on promotion for around £25.

With a TA, the filter element is the stupidly expensive part :bang:, so another few pounds for the oil isn't a lot to pay for that last little bit of peace of mind.

If you're good with the search, you'll find some TA owners where the incorrect oil was used reporting apparent problems with the Multi-air system. Changing back to the correct spec resolved the issue.

You'd have to move further away from spec to see a difference in multiair performance - the oil would need different viscocity characteristics for that to happen.

Last edited:
If you've access to a Costco, they generally keep 5W40 Edge for under £30/4l & it's often on promotion for around £25.

With a TA, the filter element is the stupidly expensive part :bang:, so another few pounds for the oil isn't a lot to pay for that last little bit of peace of mind.

This is the thing though, its £12 for the oil I usually use vs £30-£40 for the C3 stuff from what I can see, but if its required it will be whats used.

Ta for the confirmation (y)

3 way CATS - our 2004 Stilo, it that likely to have one or will that be a 2 way?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back