Technical TwinAir Cross - radiator damage?

Currently reading:
Technical TwinAir Cross - radiator damage?

I noticed something behind the bash plate on my 2016 TwinAir Panda Cross (see pics). I am assuming this is the radiator and it looks like a bit of it has partly detached itself. Unless this happened spontaneously it wouldn't have been recent, and I'm thinking it's more likely due to 'human' intervention during a service, or possibly from a stone chucked up from the road. Regardless, how worried should I be? I don't seem to be losing fluids and so far there is no indication of reduced cooling effectiveness.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I noticed something behind the bash plate on my 2016 TwinAir Panda Cross (see pics). I am assuming this is the radiator and it looks like a bit of it has partly detached itself. Unless this happened spontaneously it wouldn't have been recent, and I'm thinking it's more likely due to 'human' intervention during a service, or possibly from a stone chucked up from the road. Regardless, how worried should I be? I don't seem to be losing fluids and so far there is no indication of reduced cooling effectiveness.

View attachment 443829 View attachment 443830
Does the aircon still work?

As previously mentioned, I think it is the aircon condenser ahead of the radiator, zooming in on your photos it looks like that bottom strip of Al and attached fins does not carry gas, the next one up looks like it is connected to the header. I just replaced a similar one (not Panda) parts are relatively cheap but you need to get the aircon degassed first if doing it responsibly. My local Formula 1 did a degass without charge since I will have to go back there to have the system regassed.

Does the aircon still work?

As previously mentioned, I think it is the aircon condenser ahead of the radiator, zooming in on your photos it looks like that bottom strip of Al and attached fins does not carry gas, the next one up looks like it is connected to the header. I just replaced a similar one (not Panda) parts are relatively cheap but you need to get the aircon degassed first if doing it responsibly. My local Formula 1 did a degass without charge since I will have to go back there to have the system regassed.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it still works (although it's been the winter, so maybe I wouldn't know!) I am somewhat reassured and will probably ask about getting it replaced with the next service. It's not been regassed since new (7.5 years) so probably needs that anyway. I'm just relieved it's not the radiator :)

Yes, I'm pretty sure it still works (although it's been the winter, so maybe I wouldn't know!) I am somewhat reassured and will probably ask about getting it replaced with the next service. It's not been regassed since new (7.5 years) so probably needs that anyway. I'm just relieved it's not the radiator :)
Well my '63 plate 4x4 hasn't needed a regass (to my knowledge) in its 10+ years.

There was a recent thread on here where the original poster had been quoted some silly price for a new condenser - a search in the usual places suggests 70-80GBP should find a new condenser from a decent supplier.

I was doing some work on my skid plate under the car a couple of weeks ago and this same entire bottom section fell out. On examination it is just the bottom most set of fins, it carries no fluid. And it is from the AC condenser. My AC still works a treat so I binned the offending part and forgot about it. Looks like they are prone to corrosion eating the solder away and this happens. If the condenser ever leaks I will change it but not before...

Does it get pressure washed? The jets from that can do a lot of damage to fragile things like radiators. Also Snow Foam or Traffic Film Remover are both rather good at corroding aluminium -- anyone with a (real) Land Rover will tell you how easily the aluminium bits of that get eaten by those products.

No, I think it's just exposure and maybe a ding from some road debris at some point.

Back