Technical Twinair automatic performance

Currently reading:
Technical Twinair automatic performance

karlak

I am struggling to find the Performance information for a Twinair with the Dualogic auto gearbox.

I have found that it actually reduces the CO2's by 3 to 92, but cnat see the affect on Top speed and 0-60mph time.

Any ideas ??

As it is the same gearbox but with just a robotised gear change, I think i am right in saying that top speed should be unchanged. 0-60 presumably a bit slower.

I wouldn't be buying a fiat 500 if you are bothered by 0-60 times, mind you (even a TA).

As it is the same gearbox but with just a robotised gear change, I think i am right in saying that top speed should be unchanged. 0-60 presumably a bit slower.

I wouldn't be buying a fiat 500 if you are bothered by 0-60 times, mind you (even a TA).

LOL - not too bothered about the speed really, just didnt want it to turn into a 16 second to 60mph slug ;)

It is going to be somewhat of a difference from the wifes current car. She has an Audi TTS at the moment........

I've not drived the dual-logic but in the Smart, the wait between changes can sometimes be agonising, for example approaching a roundabout the box might have just started a down shift from 4th to 3rd when you 'call for power', so it decides 2nd would be best, so you have to wait almost two full changes. Even a double-clutch 'box can be caught out like that, albeit that the changes are usually somewhat quicker (in that scenario, presumably at least double as the side that was running 4th was already be selecting 2nd).

As said there should be no difference in 'in-gear' acceleration though.

In other words - try before you buy!

Last edited:
Yeah she (duallogic) can be annoying sometimes in auto mode (all autos are) but if you feel the need to be faster you can always use manual mode which is really not that bad, and much better than the smart (i have driven the smart so i know how it is, but even the smart manual mode much better than auto mode).
After having it a year now i time the throttle action so that i more or less can predict when it will change, and when I am sporty I use the manual mode.

I especially love the easy downshifts when I need some engine braking. Its quicker downshifting in an auto than a manual, and i love the racing car style push forward to downshift and pull towards you to go up a gear, not like those useless VW DSG boxes that you definately need steering gearshift pedals for!

Another thing, in auto mode i get around 7.5l/100 km, whilst in manual mode i get 8.0l/100 km. (1.4l engine!)
Of course this isnt exact science but there is definately a difference between auto and manual mode as auto mode changes more often than you would like to. In traffic, where the most petrol is spent, this is really useful.

With regards to 0-60 times, it will be the same if you do your version of launch control; foot hard on the brake, accelerator on max or even in N full accel then 1st! and then let go of the brake! I havent tried it as I dont want to ruin the clutch = )
Perhaps the Fiat 500 could have its own Launch Control button! (How funny would that be with a city car terrorizing the traffic lights!)

Last edited:
Most people do say the auto box in the Smart is slow to react,even the road testers say this,however i have never found this to be the case.
I think if you take it to max.revs each time it will not be smooth,but if you drive cool and gentle the box is very smooth.
I do have the Smart Diesel which road testers have said is a better match with auto box. I am more than happy with it,and i am sure the Fiat auto box will be fine if driven in a relaxed way.

Back