Turning on Amp without remote lead from headunit...

Currently reading:
Turning on Amp without remote lead from headunit...

dr_hillmann

right heres the deal. ill be going off to uni in september, and my car is going to be left garaged at home (and my mum will probably use it a bit as well) so im going to take the subs/amp out, so that it doesnt get damp/mum can use the boot etc...

well was thinking of taking the subs and amp to uni with me, and getting a 12v invertor to power it, and playing music through it from my stereo, along with home speakers

and then i realised i need the remote cable from the headunit, to turn the amp on...
is there another way you can get the amp to turn on without the remote signal from a headunit??

[subs are 2x12" pioneer, and amp is mounted on top of sub enclosure, and is Infinity Reference 4-ch]

cheers

okay stick some wire into the power input on the amp (where your power cable goes in) then put that wire you have just inserted into the remote input to power up the amp. that will power the amp up. all the remote is, is a 12V current going from the head unit to the amp telling the amp that the HU is on. so this will work. then you just turn off the power invertor to turn it off (not suggested). I would wire in a switch on the wire you inserted between the power input and remote, so you can turn it on once the invertor is powerd up. and turn it off internally rather than shocking the system.

you wont damage the amp. trust me. i have done this on installs where the remote on the HU is bad and its almost impossable to wire into the ignition. it works just fine.

Your touching on a very tricky subject as the line out on your home sterio is completely different to that of a head unit so the amp will not take the signal.
I have tried this once briefly i would suggest starting a new thread to get some suggestions from people who may know how to do this as i would like to know how its done myself.
The only suggestion that i can make is to take a head unit with you.

Your touching on a very tricky subject as the line out on your home sterio is completely different to that of a head unit so the amp will not take the signal.
I have tried this once briefly i would suggest starting a new thread to get some suggestions from people who may know how to do this as i would like to know how its done myself.
The only suggestion that i can make is to take a head unit with you.

your not wrong, i did think of this... but then arrises the issue of powering the headunit aswell... and naturally the cost attatchment to this...
although i remember my dad used to have a car stereo indoors and used it as a home system.... hmm :idea:

It will work fine although do you really want a red hot HU in your room?
remote is 12v and 3-4v is a decent pre out voltage .
Ive had car stereos in orange creates with 6x9's years ago and all ok but it aint really worth the bother for what you can buy a cheapo sony system for nowadays.

It will work fine although do you really want a red hot HU in your room?
remote is 12v and 3-4v is a decent pre out voltage .
Ive had car stereos in orange creates with 6x9's years ago and all ok but it aint really worth the bother for what you can buy a cheapo sony system for nowadays.
/
well its just that ive got the subs and amp as a unit all in one...
i have got a sony home stereo, it just would be brilliant banter to have car subwoofers in my new flat at uni :cool:

DCFC0001.jpg

Back