Tuning Turning 2004 84 ps non intercooled 2.0jtd to intercooled boost pipes required

Currently reading:
Tuning Turning 2004 84 ps non intercooled 2.0jtd to intercooled boost pipes required

Wayno

Afternoon all, i have a motorhome with the above engine which has been remapped to 114bhp, it was woefully underpowered before this and some mountains in the alps we just couldnt climb fully laden. Since the remap we can now go anywhere all be it slowly. Id like to add an intercooler and have found the correct o e tht fits in the space that is currently blanked off, im having difficulty identifying which boost pipes are needed for this mod, for instance can i use the hoses from a 2.3 or 2.8 jtd of the same era? This will be a great mod for a few more horses and mpg, also i may then be able to turn the boost up a little knowing the charged air is being cooled.

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated iv been trying for months to find out and keep coming up with no info on google

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Thank you, unfortunately the site doesnt seem to work very well it doesnt load up the pages i need keeps coming up with an error page, so the quest continues

ePear can be found in other places online: like here
(works better in the middle of the night when others are not using it)
Or you can find the dvd and install it on your computer.
BUT that won't really tell you what you need, if that engine/car combination didn't come with an intercooler.

Don't you have enough room in the front to install a custom FMIC? (universal intercooler, as big as will fit, then pipes and sillicone couplers.
It will be a little more work, but should be more efficient that the side intercooler.

Last edited:
The one i have bought is a front mount as the van is designed to house an intercooler but on this model/engine it is blanked off with a plastic shield but all the mounting grooves are present its just a case of removing the plastic blanking and inserting the intercooler into the locating dowels. I can and had intended to route my own pipe work using silicon hoses and various connectors but it will be more work, if anyone knows if the 2.3 and 2.8 are the same engine with icreased capacity and thus the turbo is in the same location then i should be able to use the boost hoses from these models to connect it all up. Perhaps fiat has some road cars with this engine? When i do finally have all the information i need and get the job done i will report back with any improvements in economy/power and a how to guide if people are interested in doing this mod.

Thanks for your time and help.

Wayne

if anyone knows if the 2.3 and 2.8 are the same engine with icreased capacity and thus the turbo is in the same location then i should be able to use the boost hoses from these models to connect it all up. Perhaps fiat has some road cars with this engine?

If those engines use a different turbo (99% they do) the hose location, dimension might be different.

The 2.0mjet is in the Bravo... but i don't think the piping will help.

The easiest way to figure these things out would be to just drive your car to a place that are parting out the same car but with the factory intercooler.

Post your VIN and i'll try to give you some info from my ePer.

It would make sense I guess they probably have a bigger turbo so that option is most likely off the table, i won't be home until Saturday, I will get the vin up as soon as I get in, thanks very much for your help

Great thanks very much starting to get an idea of what to do now, thanks again.

Wayne

Just an aside:-
My 2002 84BHP 3,500Kg Motorhome has been over all the Alpine area passes and most of the Scandinavian ones also....plus many others.
Your comment 'just couldnt climb fully laden' often seems to mean 'Not fast enough for me!'
Which passes couldn't it climb as it may be that I have missed out on some?:)

PS. A fascinating project by the way.;)

Last edited:
Next weekend the Op will be trying to solve the lack of responsiveness due to increased spool up time with a small turbo and a huge
intercooler ?

We've been stuck behind a few motorhomes screaming up the mountain at max revs in South tirol where their problems would have been mostly solved by changing gear. But the Op sounds more clued in than that.

You may well have, ever tried route 13 in switzerland? Id not do it again and that was with the remap, only just made it in first gear for 18 miles. I may well replace the turbo but im still researching safe boost limit on the pistons/rods and crank. The intercooler should allow for a small boost increase and im advised it will help with the economy side of things too so win win hopefully.

Thanks

Wayne

Also just to reiterate its the standard size intercooler that fits the van iv not gone for a huge one, i would expect a very slight difference in lag with the extra piping but really not by much, the benefits should be worth it

Sorry for the delay, i have the vin

ZFA2244000070882192

ENGINE NUMBER 4024626

Thanks

Wayne

Wayno Route 13 is a motorway so obviously not the pass that you mean.
Will now back out as I don't want to detract from your thread:)

Ahh perhaps not then, we did make a note of it to never do it again lol I will have to dig it out of the notes in the van, definitely wasn't motorway as we didn't purchase the vignette (not sure on spelling but I'm sure you know what I mean). Don't worry about going off topic I think this thread has dried up, I will be going ahead with making my own piping and will post up once it's done, I doubt many people would do the mod but if it makes noticeable gains then it's worth something.

Thanks all

Wayne

• Thanks
Reactions: EJB
Back