Technical Turbo Problems Stilo 1.9 JTD

Currently reading:
Technical Turbo Problems Stilo 1.9 JTD

cme

Hi - Have just purchased a ELM327 Interface and Software to diagnose a problem with my 52 plate 1.9 JTD - It is lacking power and gives engine faults when you try to accelerate hard. It's done this in the past when its been wet, but always cleared - now its suffering from permanent loss of power - I get the code 'P0236 Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/Performanc' But don't have a clue as to what it means - do I have to change the turbo sensor ?- what is sensor A ?- Is there a link that explains what this all means. Thanks for your help

Your Stilo only has sensor A. In a twin turbo car, the second sensor would be called sensor B.

The sensor is item 1 in the diagram below. It's mounted low down on a bracket below the battery box. They are known to suffer from water ingress so check for that first. There was a modification that relocated the sensor higher up to the side of the battery box to prevent water entering it.

Also check that the 2 vacuum pipes are attached and free of splits, holes etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• Turbo Boost.jpg
    Turbo Boost.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Thanks Argonaut - I have the ItaliaCheck software for the Elm 327. Seems to work fine if somewhat limited as to what you can do

Davren,
Is this sensor A part of the overboost valve? or something completely seperate?

Also if replacng the vaccum pipes, should I use a specific type of piping to prevent it collapsing? can I by something off the reel or does it have to be Fiat specific part?

Thanks

Davren,
Is this sensor A part of the overboost valve? or something completely seperate?

Also if replacng the vaccum pipes, should I use a specific type of piping to prevent it collapsing? can I by something off the reel or does it have to be Fiat specific part?

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, sensor A is the overboost valve. I've not seen any other sensors on the JTD engine that are anything to do with turbocharger boost.

Any pipe designated for vacuum applications should be OK providing it fits both ends. The ePER diagram suggests the pipes are a different diameter each end but then ePER diagrams are not always accurate. You would also need to bear in mind heat resistance if the pipes pass close to any high temperature components. Genuine pipes from Fiat are about £12 each.

Dave.

Back