Technical Turbo/MAP/EGR/lag/engine issue

Currently reading:
Technical Turbo/MAP/EGR/lag/engine issue

Hi

I've used the search and found some parts that partially relate to my problem but nothing concrete so hoping you can help.

I picked up a 57 1.3 multijet GP on Friday. It has a whirring bearing type noise on medium to hard acceleration and overrun, boost doesn't come in until 2500rpm and if I floor it up to 4000rpm it goes into limp home mode and won't rev past 3500rpm and is extremely sluggish. If I cycle the ignition the limp mode disappears.

There is no EML but I did recover an engine code for overboost.

I have no idea of the history so I'll be starting off with a full service and cleaning MAP and EGR but can anyone shed any light on what the root cause could be? Also any ideas on the whirring bearing noise?

Thanks

Radddogg

Yes fiat will charge for that. But it can be done yourself using a Laptop, a copy of "MultiECUScan" (google it) and a set of adapters off eBay.

As for the performance. All I can suggest is if your currently plans dont make it any better I'd hazard a guess that it's the Turbo itself that's broken, perhaps clogged up with carbon if it's a VGT / VNT turbine.

Re: Turbo/MAP/EGR/lag/engine issue - ##Fixed##

I found the problem - seized wastegate actuator. I've not been out yet to test the difference and whether the noise has gone.

well it certainly pulls much better now. The only problems now are that it starts shaking if I let the revs drop below 1500 and try to accelerate and the second really is a whirring noise that accompanies medium to hard acceleration and briefly on overrun. I think this is possibly turbo related but open to suggestions from anyone with experience of the same symptoms.

Back