Turbo/Manifold Join

Currently reading:
Turbo/Manifold Join

Ok so i got a new manifold while back, and its just started blowing from the join to the turbo :bang: (i say just, i mean i've just started noticing it) now the time to fix it isnt the problem (im just about an expert on it now!) however whats to stop it going again? :( i tried without anything, didnt work, tried with gungum stuff, didnt work (lasted this long though!) :cry: whats the best step to take to make it actually not leak? :( even used locktite when i did the repair last time as time before that it came loose somehow :eek:

Guessing i need to get the mating faces machined, to make sure totally flat so they both join up perfect? :confused:

p.s. In lets talk fiat because not many turbo's in cinq/sei section and its more of a general turbo q :p

You can't use Gun Gum on a turbo, it isn't even meant for sealing exhausts, its for fixing holes, Fire Gum is meant for putting exhausts together as it a lubricant and flexible sealer as it doesn't harden the way that gun Gum does.

the one thing that you can do is get the turbo off and the manifold and with a steel rule ensure that the surfaces are flat, you can by hand rub it down with one of those flat bar things, almost like a sharpening stone, that the name of escapes me maybe someone more technical can help you out with what I'm thinking of.

Aaron.

J333EVO said:
You can't use Gun Gum on a turbo, it isn't even meant for sealing exhausts, its for fixing holes, Fire Gum is meant for putting exhausts together as it a lubricant and flexible sealer as it doesn't harden the way that gun Gum does.

the one thing that you can do is get the turbo off and the manifold and with a steel rule ensure that the surfaces are flat, you can by hand rub it down with one of those flat bar things, almost like a sharpening stone, that the name of escapes me maybe someone more technical can help you out with what I'm thinking of.

Aaron.

sorry i did mean fire gum :eek: might just sort this engine mount and have the turbo/manifold apart again, makes it easier to plumb in this oil cooler then anyhoo :slayer: :worship:

Urmm you mean flat bar fine file type thing? :eek:

try using loctite 571. made for manifolds and flanges. never sets really hard. is flexible and possibly what you want.:)

all sounds like excellent advice, but I just wanted to enforce the point on the engine and gearbox mounts, possibly check also the condition of the flexi because you need to find out what its making it crack otherwise it will happen again and again and again....

turbo to manifold doesnt have a gasket. the mating faces need to be perpendicular to the threaded flange. I would get the yellow pages out and look for 'grinding' companies. If they grind the surfaces flat and perpendicular the join will be good as long as you use good studs or bolts. The actual grinding will cost very little and the tupe of item to be ground doesnt matter to these comapanies. I had some discs ground down 1mm of each face, for 2 discs cost me a whole £25.

rich

Its not cracking anywhere, just seems to be managing to make a blow on the right hand side, im having a word with garage shortly who owe my mum a favour :cool: (they managed to lose the keys to her range rover) as they have the facilities to do it :cool: thanks all for your help btw :)

Back