Tuning Tuning tips

Currently reading:
Tuning Tuning tips

Maninacan

Hi folks,

I've fallen back in love with my Cinq after neglecting it a bit and have decided to demonstrate my love for it by tarting it up a bit after some kids picked it up and moved it, damaging the wing a bit (you have to laugh!!!)

Wondered if anyone could answer the following:

Springs - is there a recommended make? Everyone seems to use Apex but there are cheaper on ebay. Are Apex the ones to go for or are cheaper ones ok? The ones i have seen are 30-40mm drop - presume that's what everones using?

Exhausts/industion - I would like a bit more power but am worried that all this will actually buy me is more noise (albeit a nice noise) I live in a quiet terrace street so will be public enemy number one if my car is shaking pictures off peoples walls every morning!!! Is one less noisy/more productive than the other - i.e JUST exhaust or JUST induction, rather than both?

Any other tuning tips? Would be great to make it really quick but it seems the only way there is an engine swap, which is out of the question. From what i can gather i could spend an absolute fortune on various bits around the existng block/ecu/manifold/exhaust and only gain maybe 10BHP at best.

Any advice appreciated

Long live the Cinq!

cheers, Dan(inacan)

Induction noise wont be loud enough to upset anyone but you will need to do the exhaust side to.

IF you dont want loud. get a custom system made up. Or by aftermarket then go to a good exhaust place and have them change the chav loud back box for a better/quieter one.

My tub is straight thru back box but its a big one and the car is like standered at idle and low revs with a nice deep sound when giving it some (even then draws no attention)

Thanks for all the comments folks, appreciated.

I did have a read of the guides first but no-on seems to recommend a specific spring make - is it worth getting Apex rather than the cheapest of the cheap on ebay?

I have contacted the guy on here to try and order a chip - am waiting for a reply.

Will start with lowering springs and a chip then take it from there - no doubt i'll end up with exhaust and induction too, but an engine swap isn't on the cards unfortunately.

If anyone happens to have any of these parts knocking about spare, then please get in touch ;-)

BTW, when i said neglected, my car does regularly serviced and maintained but sits on the street so has had its bumps and scrapes as well as turning a nice coral pink. That's what i meant by neglected - so i've cut the paint back to dark pink and polished until i couldn't feel my arms any more and also resprayed all the bumpers light red. 10 times better now (apart from the dented wing where some kids picked it up!)

thanks again, dan

Right, ill go for APEX -30mm if they're recommended. My cars only done 38k so should be ok for a while before the shocks give in!

Does anyone have any unwanted tuning parts lying around in good condition that they could sell me?

Looking for springs/induction/exhaust/chip/wheels/steering wheel....

cheers, dan

Right, ill go for APEX -30mm if they're recommended. My cars only done 38k so should be ok for a while before the shocks give in!

They'll probably get through an MOT, but.............

Koni say they'll be fubared by 40k miles. That's assuming road use by Mr.Molehusband.

For any kind of competition use, you'd be sending them off for rebuild at least once a season.

Shocks have never been replaced - didn't realise that lowering would wear them out so quick.

I don't race the car (except against bicycles/pedestrians/mobility scooters) and don't drive it very hard but do enjoy whipping it round bends and those gaping wheelarches are troubling me!

Back