Tuning Tuning 20v Turbo

Currently reading:
Tuning Tuning 20v Turbo

so much poor information and hearsay on this thread

Finally, 1,000bhp is definitely possible from a 2 litre lump, although it would be hugely peaky. F1 turbo cars were producing well over 1,000bhp in qualifying trim from just 1500cc...

Its all down to the depth of your pockets, or the size of your overdraft. Anything is possible with the right amount of cash

*F1 cars have as much relationship to a production road cars as a Cessna 150 has to space shuttle enterprise..thats a completely ott comparison..*

Sure right..lots of big talk..lets see the RR printout.

You guy are missing the point..You could do this a whole lot cheaper..just glue a 'Max Power' sticker on the back of your coupe..4000Hp babe magnet guaranteed.

Somebody told me the 4000Hp sticker is given away in 'Coupe News' along with the white baseball cap..

Last edited:
Hardly a 20VT is it?..with a half page of engine mods including replacement pistons, crank etc etc, and still not the 'magic' 1000Hp which 'is definately possible..'

Last edited:
I wouldn't say 1000bhp was easily achievable, more like almost impossible, but still possible. The point is WHY make a 1000hp coupe or marea. If you're going for 1/4 mile times you would be better off tuning a different car.

F1 cars have as much relationship to a production road cars as a Cessna 150 has to space shuttle enterprise..thats a completely ott comparison.

Hardly - an F1 car has pistons, valves, cams, injectors - just like a road car - the difference is that F1 cars rev MUCH higher, and in the case of the turbo F1 cars, ran MUCH higher boost

The BMW F1s used the basic block from the 4-pot E30, so there's nothing mysterious about how an F1 car achieves its horsepower - its all down to huge strength, fantastically close tolerances and exotic materials (titanium rods etc)

The main reason that nobody has got 1,000bhp from a Coupe (yet) is that a) it will be very expensive and b) FWD isn't the best medium for putting it down

However, I repeat my assertion that with enough money, it is eminently achievable

Oh - and the Cessna / Space shuttle comparison is deeply flawed - when was the last time you saw the space shuttle take off without the aid of a couple of thousand tonnes of extra booster, and when was the last time you saw it land under its own steam? - a Cessna can do both

Seen a Golf R32 heavily modified with a 2.2 Audi Quattro engine which as been completly upgraded no original parts except engine block perhaps (which too has been modified). Twin Turbo'd, its still amazingly drivable and the owner takes it on track days where it blitzes everything else!.

Running 920bhp (at the wheels!!).

[quote

Oh - and the Cessna / Space shuttle comparison is deeply flawed - when was the last time you saw the space shuttle take off without the aid of a couple of thousand tonnes of extra booster, and when was the last time you saw it land under its own steam? - a Cessna can do both[/quote]

Subtle analagy completely wasted..I was pointing out two completely different machines..bit like an F1 car with a £5M engine / gearbox combo against an eldely Fiat. Sure they have injectors, turbo's and cams. But what injectors, what turbo and what cams. You won't be picking them up in many tuning shops for less than a few £100k.

I don't believe (theoretical or practical) that you'll get 1000Hp. Matey and his Marea couldn't crack 800Hp and you can bet he was going for the max possible..looking at his mod list the only original 20VT bit was the crankcase..

Coupe is too old, obsolete and FWD. If it were possible then over the last 15yrs somebody would have done it.

BTW the only real similarity between the Cessna 150 / Space Shuttle is that they use two short thick planks for wheel chocks.

Lancia Delta Integrale - 2 litre 16v Turbo - 1000bhp

The problem with youtube videos is that you can put whatever you want for the title. I could have reupload that video and put 1500. It doesn't seem like 1000bhp but I found another site that claims 253kmh in 400m or 157mph in 1/4 mile, that's an 8.5 second run or so. Now look at this video and see if you think the Lancia is really this fast.

Last edited:
Back