Tuning Tuning 20v Turbo

Currently reading:
Tuning Tuning 20v Turbo

charlied

Hiya

A mate of mine's gotta coupe and wants to know the best route to go down tuning wise for one of these. I'm guessing there's something along the remap lines however he's on a budget so whats the best way of getting some more power? Is it remap, decat, filter summat like that? Whats the most popular? Any dos and donts?

Ta!

he's on a budget and custom remap dont usually work tho ;)

i dunno where you get that from, live mapping does work.

when my local RR has been repaired i will have a graph to show how much i am now putting out, i expect it to be a little lower than a coupe would achive as my airbox it stuffed up behind my headlight and my cat back system is chocking my turbo as its slightly thinner.

as for the price, you wont get any more BHP for your money (standard live map is £150)

Ry

Before tuning make sure the clutch is in tip top condition and that the engine is healthy, although if he uses fcperformance then for a very reasonable price they will do a compression test. Also as summer is approaching he really should be looking at fitting an uprated intercooler as running higher boost will have the stock one strained if thrashed on hot days.

if on a budget i'd spend all available money on servicing engine, braking system 1st. Oh and fit a boost gauge-this is critical

Last edited:
i dunno where you get that from, live mapping does work.

when my local RR has been repaired i will have a graph to show how much i am now putting out, i expect it to be a little lower than a coupe would achive as my airbox it stuffed up behind my headlight and my cat back system is chocking my turbo as its slightly thinner.

as for the price, you wont get any more BHP for your money (standard live map is £150)

Ry

i meant custom remap dont work as in he cant afford it on a budget.

should of made my self more clear :p

how much power have you see of this engine
here in Greece i have see a fiat coupe 20vt with 983 hp and 3,2bar overboost

Whut????

This for real or has the driver been on the local moose juice again with the Greek version of 'Max Power?'

I have difficulty with seeing 1000hp from the 2L block however modified. This topic used to come up on FCCUK fairly often and I think the most that anybody had in reality from the original motor was 600Hp and that was so heavily modded it wasn't a coupe anymore..pure track timing gate weapon.

Now if we are talking about stripping out the 1995cc block and putting in a 6L twin turbo, nitrous boosted etc etc then its a whole new ballgame..

Edit: Also wonder how a FWD car would get that much power down on the road. My last Coupe was 300Hp and that used to slip/slide and munch its tyres if you weren't careful...

Last edited:
Just remap (peak pressure 1,4 bar), exhaust (if you want you can use a sport cat), air filter: you can reach 250cv.
Most depends of health state of engine.
A friend just changing turbine, exhaust, cat, direct air filter, reaches 350cv.
If just using front intercooler (is larger all front bumper, if you wear non-original bumper you could have problems) you reaches 20cv from original configuration.
Just don't do this if you live in city (front intercooler increases water temperature).

That makes sense. There was a guy on FCCUK who had a weapon that had 600+ Hp but as you say was utterly useless off the drag strip. I'd go for that but 1000Hp nah!

so much poor information and hearsay on this thread

Firstly, to the OP - if your friend is on a budget, don't even start tuning. Its a slippery slope, and bits WILL wear out faster, which he won't be able to afford to replace if money is tight

Next - big power Coupes can get power down - in the dry, mine only spins up in first gear - 2nd and above is fine. I get 12,000 miles from a pair of front tyres, and the car has done 219,000 miles - proper everyday car

Next, the 600bhp Coupe that's referred to is VERY driveable - its properly mapped for low speed / part throttle driving and was used as an everyday car.

Finally, 1,000bhp is definitely possible from a 2 litre lump, although it would be hugely peaky. F1 turbo cars were producing well over 1,000bhp in qualifying trim from just 1500cc. There are unconfirmed reports of a European Coupe with over 900bhp and confirmed reports (Brazil) of a 20VT lump (in a Marea estate) with something like 750bhp

Its all down to the depth of your pockets, or the size of your overdraft. Anything is possible with the right amount of cash

Back