Technical trouble pulling away? please help me :)

Currently reading:
Technical trouble pulling away? please help me :)

Loops25

Hi guys,

I'm having a little trouble with my Punto :(

I know it's still new to me and I need to get used to the clutch and stuff but ... I'm really struggling with pulling away at islands and junctions :eek: I'm stalling it so many times and am worried I might cause an accident lol.

I really think there must be something wrong somewhere but I have no idea what :confused:

I'm starting to think it could be something to do with the accelerator? when I give it a little blip the revs sometimes drop and it cuts out ... also it's as if the accelerator pedal has a little travel before it actually does anything.

Does anyone know what could cause this and what a possible fix is for it?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi mate,
Is your car an MK2 sporting??If it is , the clutch is a bit weird and it's gonna take you quite a long time to get used to it.How long have you got the car for?Also , beware that with the CITY on , you'll have to press the accelarator more in order to achieve the same power output for a normal start.Drive with it off , it's gonna help you get used to the clutch.I only turn it on when parking somewhere narrow..
As for the accelarator , I suppose it's normal as that happens to almost every car I've driven(not in my punto though).(y)

Hi mate,
Is your car an MK2 sporting??If it is , the clutch is a bit weird and it's gonna take you quite a long time to get used to it.How long have you got the car for?Also , beware that with the CITY on , you'll have to press the accelarator more in order to achieve the same power output for a normal start.Drive with it off , it's gonna help you get used to the clutch.I only turn it on when parking somewhere narrow..
As for the accelarator , I suppose it's normal as that happens to almost every car I've driven(not in my punto though).(y)

Hi ya

Thanks for replying :)

Yes it is a sporting, I have only had it two weeks but it is really really easy to stall. My bf was driving today and stalled it about 3 times, and he usually gets biting points straight away. When i drive it i have to rev it loads so i sound like an awful driver.

Also the city steering i haven't really used anyway so its not that.

You think the accelerator is normal to cut out if you press it lightly? (a few times)
:confused:

Any other thoughts? :(
Ohhh!!!sorry for the ''mate''!!Thought you were a man...
Well , maybe your clutch disk needs replacement , but I strongly believe that it's just the getting used to it issue.Like I said , it took me about 3 months to ALWAYS start it without stalling or revving high..Also, whoever tries to drive it always stalls it like 5 times!!!(y)It's a tough nut!!!You can't win it very easily...:)
About the gas pedal , do you mean that it starts normally and sometimes it feels like you've left the pedal???but without you leaving it??like a power cut out??If that's it , mine does it too quite often but only on cold starts.That's not a problem , well if it doesn't get worse , and I think it has to do with the ECU.
If there's just a bit of ''play'' in the pedal , and you just have to push it more than you were used to do in your previous car in order for the power to come , that's nothing to worry about.I was talking about that when I said that it hapens in almost every car I've driven,,

Hi again

Haha no female here lol, why i am asking lots of questions :)

I really think , i believe it is something to do with the acelerator.

No it doesn't lose power. Ok here is what happens......

Start the car
running, no problem, rev the car no problem.
Rev it very very lightly it will cut out. Which i think when you pull away this is what happens it cuts out but i think i stalled it :confused:

Can anyone tell me if my punto has a acelerator cable, if so where is it?

Cheers :)

Hello

off the top of my head, it sounds like an air leak which would cause the engine to run weak and die when at low revs and load is applied.

You could pop your head under the bonnet and listen for any air leaks.

also a dirty throttle body could possibly cause this issue.

Aw thanks very much. I had better get myself a manual then as i don't know where anything is :(

I will have a listen for any air leaks and find out where the throttle body is :eek:

Back