General Trouble identifying an oil leak

Currently reading:
General Trouble identifying an oil leak

Bishbashbosh

Hi all
I have an 06 fiat punto 1.2 sporting, I have an oil leak thats running over the bottom of the sump but not near the sump bung, it looks like its coming from the gearbox end of engine but I am not losing engine oil, it doesn't smell like gearbox oil but it could have been contaminated and I can't actually see where its coming from, any ideas or pointers to common problems of this type would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

there can be small leaks from the round screw caps on the aluminium head. The o'rings go very hard. The o'rings are something like 18mm by 1.5mm. I got a box of o'rings from the local shop and found some that worked. you have to be very careful putting the caps back in as they easily strip. There are 10 top caps for the head bolts and 2 side caps for the timing tools.

If the leak is coming from the crankshaft seal you will probably find your clutch is oily and notice that. you can look at the clutch through the hole in the top of the gearbox under the rubber bung
Hi all
I have an 06 fiat punto 1.2 sporting, I have an oil leak thats running over the bottom of the sump but not near the sump bung, it looks like its coming from the gearbox end of engine but I am not losing engine oil, it doesn't smell like gearbox oil but it could have been contaminated and I can't actually see where its coming from, any ideas or pointers to common problems of this type would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

If it's not engine oil, it means it's gearbox oil. And it can get loose through damaged seals. Some pictures with the oil leak would help.

Sorry for not replying sooner,
I have found it to be gearbox oil and its from the back of the gearbox so I was assuming it is a seal thats gone.

"Back of the gearbox" means which part? The one closest to the windshield? There, on the upper part on the gearbox is the selector that has a seal and it could be it. If is not that one the one that spills, the gearbox only has 3 more seals, one on the power take-off and the two on each of the cv joints.

"Back of gearbox"? I'd like something a bit more definitively identifying to help. However Mike mentions above that the gear selector can leak where it exits the top of the gearbox. Both our Panda and my boy's Punto had leaks here. When I first spotted these leaks I thought it was the N/S driveshaft seal which was leaking - the oil from the selector shaft leak runs down over it so it's easy to be fooled. The top plate simply unbolts after removing the battery box and "popping" the gearchange linkages off. There's a roll pin to drift out but all in all definitely a job someone who does their own maintenance (oil and filter changes, brake pads, maybe changing a wheel cylinder) could aspire to doing. I've seen quite a few of these leaking away gently and honestly, unless it's leaking enough to leave overnight marks on the ground, I'd tend to just leave it alone but keep an eye on the oil level in the box. If the level starts dropping noticeably then do something about it. Oil dribbling down the outside of the box isn't going to affect the clutch. Leaks from the driveshafts or, especially, the input (1st motion shaft) I'd want to fix.

"Back of gearbox"? I'd like something a bit more definitively identifying to help. However Mike mentions above that the gear selector can leak where it exits the top of the gearbox. Both our Panda and my boy's Punto had leaks here. When I first spotted these leaks I thought it was the N/S driveshaft seal which was leaking - the oil from the selector shaft leak runs down over it so it's easy to be fooled. The top plate simply unbolts after removing the battery box and "popping" the gearchange linkages off. There's a roll pin to drift out but all in all definitely a job someone who does their own maintenance (oil and filter changes, brake pads, maybe changing a wheel cylinder) could aspire to doing. I've seen quite a few of these leaking away gently and honestly, unless it's leaking enough to leave overnight marks on the ground, I'd tend to just leave it alone but keep an eye on the oil level in the box. If the level starts dropping noticeably then do something about it. Oil dribbling down the outside of the box isn't going to affect the clutch. Leaks from the driveshafts or, especially, the input (1st motion shaft) I'd want to fix.
Thank you, I noticed oil on the gear selector linkages and was wondering if the oil had leaked from the drive shaft seal and been flung ( for lack of a better term ) up onto the linkages, since my clutch was changed by a garage i have had no end of problems coming from the N/S including suspension they even managed to knock my head light out of alignment,
I think I will have to investigate this plate on the gear box and go from there.

Back