Technical Transmission/Electrical issues - need help

Currently reading:
Technical Transmission/Electrical issues - need help

Messiah Khan

Hey folks,

I'm am now the proud owner of a 2016 Fiat Ducato x290 L2H2 comformatic van.

Problem is I bought it from a dealer, but soon after it is starting to have major issues. The dealer is being less than helpful and I fear I have ended up with a very expensive shed!

On driving the van, a transmission error comes up on the dash. Gears can change, but not reliability and it keeps saying to limit gear changes. It seems to work more reliable in auto than manual mode.

On turning the van off overnight the battery also totally drained. I have now replaced the battery, allowing me to start the van and get the codes read etc. However as soon as I connect the battery, there is a loud 'whining' noise (Sounds a bit like a capacitor squeal) coming from the back of the engine bay. I suspect this is some sort of short which is what drained the battery?

The noise is there regardless of the ignition being on or not, so for now I have disconnected the battery to preserve it.

Any suggestions of what this may be and how expensive it may get? I'm going to get it booked in to the local garage for a check, but fear it may become a money pit before I start!

20231024_160100.jpg

Im am not familiar with the comfortmatic gearbox, but I have gleaned a few facts from reading posts on this and other forums.
The comfortmatic is basically a manual box with the addition of hydraulically operated gear selection and clutch.

I seem to remember that the electrically powered hydraulic pump is initiated when the driver's door is opened. The fact that it is not stopping could possibly be due to a faulty door switch, or hydraulic pressure sensor, perhaps a faulty pump.

I very recently found an informative help file on the Motorhome Facts forum, and saved for further study. I will attach it to this post. Perhaps it may help.

Attachments

• Comfortmatic Gearbox Problems.pdf
    305.3 KB · Views: 57
Back