Trade Insurance?

Currently reading:
Trade Insurance?

Moss1984

Just a couple of question about trade car insurance
1)How old do you havt to be for it
2)what is the highest insurance group car you can drive
3)how many cars do you havt to sell a year for it
any other information you lot on the FF have about trade insurance id like to know please as i was thinking of getting it cheers(y)

Your vehicle has to be a proven working vehicle for trade aka taxi, courier vehicle etc to name a few examples in order to obtain it. There are limitations, especially if its for a 2nd hand car dealers sort of policy

You also have to prove your business, or if working for someone else get it proven. You cant have one based on your house address unless the business is declared at that address, but then all the company finaces are looked into

You have to have at least 3 vehicles for sale all at once for it to be classed as a business IIRC

If you want to run about on trade plates etc there are certain times in the day you can do only do this. You cant go driving about on trade plates in middle of night unless special dispention to do this

Last edited:
a lad i know whos 17 and his dad runs a scrap yard has and regularly drives his x5, hes had skylines, scoobys, evo's, and loads of other cars, always gets pulled and with the certificate they wont touch him:)

but you do need to have a business and as far as i know it costs well over 10k but thats for lorries, trucks and all other vehicles associated with the business...

I use Trade Plates for work here in Ireland, some limitations though - such as can only be used during working hours - 6am-8pm, and Mon-Sat only. Not sure on age restriction, I suppose that's up to your insurance company.

We had to prove that we are a business, that we occupy a premises, have a garage etc. and have a certain amount of vehicles on the road and for sale :slayer:. There's also different types, such as Dealerships, HGV's (Lorries, Trucks & Buses), and Sole Traders.

Not if ours is HGV or Sole Trader though.

Hi,

I am a motor trader and I have recently employed some non UK workers for my garage. Only after employing did I find out that I needed to change my trade insurance. (I have sorted it all out now - i went with network trade insurance (you should be able to find them on Google). But I wanted to let others know.

Was anyone else aware of this?

Thanks,

Mark

Motor Trade insurance is much easier to get if you actually have workshop or sales premises. You might find 'work from home' policies ridiculously limited especially if you are young, and that's if you can get cover at all.
It's never going to be cheap, as the insurer is taking a greater risk on what type/value of vehicle is to be driven, and some cheaper policies will put a limit on car value/engine size/etc and age of anyone who can drive under the policy.

In general it's intended to cover legitimate businesses where the owner or employees may need to drive customer cars as well as their own. To this end, it's actually the policyholder/driver that is insured rather than the vehicle, but company or personally owned vehicles should still be listed on the policy, otherwise they won't show on the insurers database and hence are likely to get stopped by Police who will then verify that the driver is actually insured properly under a trade policy. So if you work as a plumber full time and use a motor trade policy you generally won't be covered unless you told the insurer that your motor trade work was only part time.....

Some of the bigger insurers will now only offer trade cover on combined policies, where the building/business/road risks are all bundled into one policy.

By all means shop around the smaller insurers, but make sure you know exactly what you're covered for before parting with money!

Back