Technical Towing with a Cinq, Is this crazy??

Currently reading:
Technical Towing with a Cinq, Is this crazy??

gareth111278

Dazzed & Confused !
Hi.
My mate has just bought a lovely, low mileage Cinq. Its like new TBH.
He's had a brilliant but wacky idea, i'm quite towing savvy so i'm going to help him with the technical side of things.
The plan is this, buy an identical Cinq. remove the complete front end , so its vertical to the front screen & fit a draw bar. Connect up the lights, fit reflectors & strip the interior then kit it out as a micro caravan!:eek:

My big worries are, 1. How much will the rear of a cinq weigh? If its over 750kgs we'll need brakes. 2. will the very rearward axle impose too much weight on the tow bar?

i'd be interested if anyone has ever done this to any car!

Cheers Gareth

Last edited:
Hi.
My mate has just bought a lovely, low mileage Cinq. Its like new TBH.
He's had a brilliant but wacky idea, i'm quite towing savvy so i'm going to help him with the technical side of things.
The plan is this, buy an identical Cinq. remove the complete front end , so its vertical to the front screen & fit a draw bar. Connect up the lights, fit reflectors & strip the interior then kit it out as a micro caravan!:eek:

My big worries are, 1. How much will the rear of a cinq weigh? If its over 750kgs we'll need brakes. 2. will the very rearward axle impose too much weight on the tow bar?

i'd be interested if anyone has ever done this to any car!

Cheers Gareth

been done

Ash

Needs to be cut off at the B pillar to balance properly, which won't make a mini camper, unless you are munchkins.

Will need brakes over 500kg, and would be better with anyway, so use a braked hitch and use the existing brakes for the trailer.

Being pre 98 there is no manufacturers towing limit, butifoupassed yues after hat time the trailer would have to weigh less than 710kg total.

Cheers

D

Adding brakes makes it a little more complex, But its just a case of getting the handbrake cable to pull on with an 'over-run' hitch. Problem there is it'll lock its brakes in reverse as trailer brakes have a trick device in the hub to prevent this.
biggest worry is that for it to work as a camper we need the ful length to the 'A' post.

Ash, when you say 'been done' do you mean as I described or just to the 'B' post?

butifoupassed yues after hat time , Sorry, Please could you clarify, I can't make head nor tail of this!!

Cheers Gareth

Its been done in that a cinq has been cut in half and turned into a trailer

Read rallycinqs post and see why it is a stupid idea - a trailer is ok a camper isnt

OK so it wouldn't work then? pitty, it'd look good.
TBH i seriously worry for a 900cc engine towing anything!
Thanks for the advice though.
Gareth

Back