General Towing Limits

Currently reading:
General Towing Limits

bradeckx

I have a 2016 500X Trekking Plus and the owners and everything I can find online says "not recommended" for towing. I was surprised, however, when calling U-haul, and having no problems in getting a full 2" receiver hitch with wiring installed without any problems - it looks and functions great. I use it for a rear shelf carrier as well as bicycle hitch carrier but wondered if, while I understand it's "not recommended" anyone had any idea of towing capacities for the vehicle. I'd like to pull a small utility trailer to take adhoc stuff to the compost yard or whatever and just need an idea of my limits. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The uk owners manual has these listed for towing limits, interesting that the tiger shark engine doesn't have anything, however I imagine that's because that specific model isn't available here.

IMG_1482159997.874445.jpg
IMG_1482160014.362860.jpg
IMG_1482160038.924128.jpg

Towing weight has nothing to do with engine size / BHP / Torque. There is a relationship but for vehicle homologation purposes I believe the fundamental criteria is based on vehicle mass and construction. Part of the mass equation also relates to rear wheel axle loading.

This latter point is emphasised by the Barchette 1.8 130BHP. This is only rated at 750KG braked but shares the same chassis (actually a stiffer chassis construction) of the Punto HGT which is 1.8 130BHP but is homologated to a much higher value.

Back