General Towing With 9 Speed Automatic Transmision

Currently reading:
General Towing With 9 Speed Automatic Transmision

I ask and post this a having experience of towing with a Stilo Abarth with the older Selespeed semi-automatic (traditional dry clutch, 6 speed box with hydraulic clutch operation).

First I must say that I liked the Selespeed. Not a 100% perfect but never gave any issues and was good for towing except in traffic jams.

Basically when starting off with a 1000kg+ towed load then the selespeed would slip the clutch far more that I would in a manual car. When queuing and creeping in traffic it was a complete nightmare and very worrying as to how long the clutch would last. Also unlike a manual box and clutch once up and moving you could not just be in 1st gear and feet off both the clutch and the throttle to just crawl at idle rpm. To add to the problems I would let the traffic gap grow till I knew that the clutch would fully engage and the car progress with no slip. However some bright spark would always decide their lane was slower than mine and steal the gap and ruin may day.

Now with automatics (older?) that used fluid torque converters there was never a clutch slip wear issue.

With today's 9 speed box I'm assuming that it utilises a dry or even wet clutch plate that is designed to slip during the take off period? So has anyone towed in start/stop traffic? Can you crawl at idle rpm? Any other observations?

I've not towed with mine so I can't answer your question from experience unfortunately. I have read up on the 9 speed a little e.g. here: https://www.car-engineer.com/the-zf-9hp-automatic-transmission-at-a-glance/

I believe it does have a torque converter but with a series of dog clutches to reduce slip.

Given this gearbox is fitted to a series of Jeeps and vans I can only assume it has been used for towing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

Just come across this thread: https://www.fiatforum.com/500x/428764-500x-cross-plus-1-4-multiair-tow-car.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the ZF links.

So you say you have not towed but can you traffic jam crawl with engine at idle?

Old automatics with torque converters would do this. Not sure about the 500X 9 speed transmission.

The torque converter is VERY good news as I have to assume it does all the "slipping" as in older style auto transmissions.

As for that thread re: 500X towing ability and comparison then yes this is my original post after I bought my 500X to replace my previous Croma 2L diesel tow car.

I've not changed my views at all. However my 500X is a manual box and not and auto box hence this thread question regarding the 9 speed box.

Thanks for the ZF links.

So you say you have not towed but can you traffic jam crawl with engine at idle?

Old automatics with torque converters would do this. Not sure about the 500X 9 speed transmission.

The torque converter is VERY good news as I have to assume it does all the "slipping" as in older style auto transmissions.

As for that thread re: 500X towing ability and comparison then yes this is my original post after I bought my 500X to replace my previous Croma 2L diesel tow car.

I've not changed my views at all. However my 500X is a manual box and not and auto box hence this thread question regarding the 9 speed box.

I don't have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about, but I have found this, if it helps. If not I'll just shut up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

"The available, technologically advanced Fiat 500X aWd system works through a variable wet clutch located in the rear drive module. this clutch knows and supplies the right amount of torque for what- ever the weather, roads or driver throws at it, be it slippery conditions or an aggressive launch."

http://autoscout.net.ua/pdf/Catalogo-Fiat-autoscout-Fiat-500x-1.pdf

Alanw47 that's the AWD system. It varies the amount of power to the wheels depending on road conditions/available grip

s130 I'm sure it does creep forwards - I will double check when I'm next out

Yes it does. Went out in mine today, remembered to try it out, and verified that it does 'creep' forward at tickover in D.

Back