Technical towing a trailer

Currently reading:
Technical towing a trailer

bessacarr

:)Hi,Every body ,We are glad to find a forum for ducato motor homes we have a 2.8idTD yr2000 bessacarr E745 3.8 ton,we tow a trailer 2 axle 1600kg with car 1275kg on ,we were told the van would pull a ton ,now have we got it right or does anybody have some kind suggestions,we cannot get any more grunt out of the van and hope to get a smaller trailer,thanks for any help ,dave.:idea:

Gross train weight is probably 5500kg with the uprated chassis.
It will be on the plate under the bonner so I would have thought you'd be ok legally.
Thats an awful lot of weight to drag around with a ducato gearbox though so I wouldn't be adding grunt.

:)Hi,Thank you for your reply,we are thinking of gearing down 5th gear there is a kit for this using the gearing from the fore runner ducato gearbox, for better hill climbing and better moving of when towing as we do not go over 60 mls hr fuel should be about the same ,all this because wife wants to take her car or nothing doing! so we are @gvw3850kg, gtw5500kg,axle (1 )1850kg,axle(2) 2120kg, car 1275kg+trailer 415kg=1690kg (trailer 1600kg gvw) so over by 5.5%, 1690kg+3850=5540kg so over gtw by 0.8% . i understand there is a + - 10% over/under load tolerance allowed as private vehicle, thanks for your help.:bang:

Last edited:
The train weight is the actual trailer laden weight plus the actual vehicle laden weight and as long as this is less than 5500kg then you are legal. It is the actual weights and not the MGW's that count in this case.

Back