Tower Hamlets Council are a bunch of useless idiots

Currently reading:
Tower Hamlets Council are a bunch of useless idiots

jnoiles

Um......
Tonight I get home to discover a letter from Tower Hamlets telling me that they had to hire a tracing agent to track me down at my current address. They then tell me that I need to pay them £667.81 in council tax owed for a property I haven't lived in for 18 months almost to the day.

In the other window I have the email chain from my previous landlord where we agreed on the date I'd vacate the flat. In another window I have a copy of the DPS deposit protection scheme docs stating that I left the flat in Feb 2008. In another window I have my original cancellation of service notice with BT to prove that I left the property. In another window I have the cancellation of the council tax standing order from my bank.

But no, the small minded idiots at Tower Hamlets seem to think I owe them £667.81 in council tax.

Several things puzzle me about this:

- £667.81 for 18 months? So that works out at £37.10 per month. It was £78 a month when I lived there

- You found me via a searching agent who was clever to find me here at my current address. That not a hint that maybe I don't live at my old address anymore?

- The letter of demand is dated 07/08/09 and it arrived today, 12/08/09. It says I need to pay in 14 days. Not discuss. No numbers to contact them. Just that I have to pay.

- Who are they billing for council tax at that address now? If they are billing someone then surely this is just extortion from me. I'm tempted to go door knock the current tennant at my old address and see if s/he is paying council tax on that address. Anyone know if these things are a matter of public record?

What really pisses me off is Tower Hamlets has screwed me around before. They took money from my account for monthly council tax for six months when I did live there then threatened me with legal recovery action because I wasn't paying it. I pointed out the bank statements, they checked their files and found they were taking the money but not allocating as paid by me. So they have previous form for this sort of crap.

So because of Tower Hamlets rampant ineptitude I'm going to have to spend several hours tomorrow unpicking this mess with their accounts people. Then more time and money checking with credit reporting agencies to make sure they've not reported me as a deadbeat.

Well no. I'm not having that. I'm ringing them tomorrow and I'm sorting it out but my time and effort is on the clock. At the end of it I'll add up the time then I'll throw on a charge for 'charges connected with distress' which is what they put on the form they threw at me.

I'll send them an invoice registered mail. Terms of payment 30 days. If in 30 days they haven't coughed up for my time I'll sell the debt to a debt recovery firm. See how funny they think it is when someone shows up threatening their staff and nicking office furniture to settle a debt.

The only council tax I've had to pay personally was when I moved in with my ex to a new flat, paid it in one sum but events transpired and she moved out a while later, council sent me a refund cheque for over £800 :eek:

So I can't say I hate them, yet :)

Good luck in getting yours sorted out

I'm sorting it out but my time and effort is on the clock. At the end of it I'll add up the time then I'll throw on a charge for 'charges connected with distress' which is what they put on the form they threw at me.

I'll send them an invoice registered mail. Terms of payment 30 days. If in 30 days they haven't coughed up for my time I'll sell the debt to a debt recovery firm. See how funny they think it is when someone shows up threatening their staff and nicking office furniture to settle a debt.

I love the above bit.......think i'll use that against BT(y)

I love the above bit.......think i'll use that against BT(y)

So far we're at 1 hour of labour at overtime rates digging up all the old emails. 12 pages of printing at 20p a sheet which is what the copying place around the corner charges. That's for printing out the supporting evidence that I've moved. I'll be generous and not charge them a fee for 'generic forum ranting to make me feel better'.

:D

I spent 9 evenings of constantly getting cut off/promises of being called back etc by BT when I tried to enquire about a outstanding charge of £68?

In the end I got a debt letter through so had to pay it but my cunning plan of revenge (which is already in progress) will cost BT alot more than £68:devil:

Back to councils, I went to cop shop to complain about council charges (still dont know what they were for...funninly enough neither do the council but I owed it to them!) & cops said just pay it as council are a law unto themselves & even they dont get involved with them....so what chance we the public got?

Last edited:
Not just Tower Hamlet.

My property used to be covered by sedgefield borough council. Some wisearse decided to amalgamate with 3 neigbouring councils and all come under Durham saying it will reduce costs, lay off staff, centralise offices blah da blah etc. So far the average council tax raise is £150 annually on last year.

They now charge for rubbish collection (i.e an old sofa etc) which used to be free. They've also opened 3 new offices and haven't shut any old ones!.

Back to councils, I went to cop shop to complain about council charges (still dont know what they were for...funninly enough neither do the council but I owed it to them!) & cops said just pay it as council are a law unto themselves & even they dont get involved with them....so what chance we the public got?

See now that's just wrong.

I'm very seriously tempted to knock on the current tenants door and ask them how long they've lived there and payed council tax for. If it's as I suspect and Tower Hamlets is just trying it on with me I'm going to speak to a lawyer. Clearly that's fraud and bordering on extortion.

£78 a year, we are getting well ripped off here, no street lights, only rubbish took for free is what goes in a bin bag an paper, card, tins n glass one week an plastic n grass cutting the next, an ours is £150 a month :(

Ha! No, that was what I was paying per month with a single person discount when I was living there.

£130. And for that we get.....actually I'm not sure we get anything. Occasional rubbish collection. Sometimes they fix pot holes. Um.......

Back