General Tow bar towing

Currently reading:
General Tow bar towing

jtrashy

Are there any mechanical issues or excessive wear from towing this way? I need to tow it 180 miles to new home. Any benefit to detaching the axles?
The tow bar attachments points are solid.
Thanks

Attachments

• B4DA89A1-BEDD-43AE-99C7-8DF207AF41F2.jpeg
    B4DA89A1-BEDD-43AE-99C7-8DF207AF41F2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 120
I can see no reason why towing the car this way will cause any more wear and tear on the steering or transmission than if you had driven the car the same distance. Just remember to keep the speed down to close to what the Fiat would achieve, make sure the handbrake is OFF and make sure the gearbox is OUT of gear!---all the best with the drive.

I have towed my Fiat 500 thousands of miles behind my motorhome over the last 8 years with no problems, if anything the front tyres wear slightly more than the rear ones! as previously said just make sure its out of gear, the handbrake is off and the steering lock is off. if it's a braked A frame put a couple of rubber bands round the brake pedal to keep the help pedal up. I tow at up to 60 mph comfortably

I tow mine this way and was doing so when I lost the rear wheel/drum/half shaft but I’ve put that down to just been unlucky. One thing to bear in mind is that it will accrue the mileage whilst been towed.

Only if you leave the speedo connected! very easy to undo the speedo cable at the back of the instrument cluster.

Back