Top Gear Vauxhall Vectra test

Currently reading:
Top Gear Vauxhall Vectra test

Ha ha....

I have based my critisicm of the Stilo on 2 years experience, what's your denouncement of the Vectra based on? Other people biased opinions or other 'facts'?

There is no smugness in driving a Vectra at all, other than knowing it does the job. When we bought the Stilo, we actually liked it, it ticked all the boxes for us at the time. Unfortunately it let us down too many times to be considered a 'good buy'.

Maybe it was a 'bad one' but there appears to be a lot of documented 'bad ones' on here - just look in the Stilo section and take your head out of the clouds.

Steve with respect... people with problems Post in Forums, Stilo seems never to have been a great car, didnt sell in massive numbers. The one you had was nasty, I agree. I see the Mazda went despite being brilliant and you Posting smugly wishing everyone with a Fiat luck (around March 2007I think), now its a Vectra...
I drive a lot, see mostly Vauxhalls broken down on Motorways, ditto Fords, BMW's and Saabs... dont hardly see a Fiat stuck anywhere oddly!

Its just not good to pop back up here ripping Fiats apart, do it on a Vauxhall Forum by all means, but there are plenty of us Fiat owners totally happy, I am one! Came on here to research buying what I liked the look of. Had some niggles but nothing, repeat NOTHING that has spoiled my enjoyment and ownership. I would buy another MJet if I were still doing the miles.

Last edited:
An honest and realistic response, and I agree with you Helz.

We still have the Mazda.... and a Vectra too..... and a Stag ........

The Mazda replaced the Stilo, we had the others at the same time too...

Hence the signature with them listed.

Last edited:
Would I have bought another Fiat if all my previous ones had been so bad?

My Bravo is an excellent car, makes similar priced, similar segment cars look bland. Gets decent MPG while delivering loads of reliable power. I've had a few niggles which is to be expected of a car that had only been released a few weeks before I bought mine, by as ffoxy said, nothing has spoilt my enjoyment and I'd certainly buy another.

Especially with the rock solid multijet engine.

All I am saying is that if you did have a bad experience would you want to take the chance of a repeat performance from the same manufacturer?

All I am saying is that if you did have a bad experience would you want to take the chance of a repeat performance from the same manufacturer?

Definitely, just because you've had a bad experience with one single car doesn't mean they're all the same. My Punto GT wasn't very reliable, it actually broke down more than it actually drove anywhere :eek: but it didn't stop me buying the New 500 and New Abarth 500 (y)

If you like Vauxhalls, post on a Vauxhall forum. If you like Fiats, post on a Fiat forum. To be on a forum only to criticise the make of car everyone has is both childish and smacks of insecurity. What exactly are you trying to achieve? If Fiats were so bad how come many people stick with the marque? I for one have owned many different makes of cars over the past 22 years of driving, yet the manufacturer I've spent the majority of my driving life with (and the only one that never needed a breakdown service called out) is Fiat.

My first car was a Vauxhall and there are some models I like - PA Cresta, FD/ FE Victors, Droop Snoot Firenza, HS Chevettes, mk1 Cavalier coupes, Lotus Carltons to name a few. I also agree that the red top 16v XE engine was a class leader in its time. However, few Vauxhall models over the past 20 or so years get me excited. That doesn't mean they are bad cars, it just means that they're not for me.

Live and let live.

:)

Last edited:
If that was directed at me, then if you look more closely what I said was fair, reasonable and accurate. It also looked for hope with newer models. etc.

We all know that Fiat went through a difficult time in the 2000 / 1 sort of time, and that the big tie in with GM resulted in a big cash flow into Fiat (2005 / 6?). We also all know that Sergio Marchionnes has done a great job in turning a company that was on the brink of bankruptcy into a major player again.

So what I have posted hasn't all been negative.

the majority is though tbh.... whining about the stilo granted it was a lemon...but it was ahead of it's time....somethings that are still only becoming more common on some higher manufacturers...

it really bugs me when people come on here to troll.

Yes you like vectras and yes we like fiats.

My boyfriends Parents have a vectra. (55 plate?) It does what they want (tow a caravan ;)) and they are happy with it.

Would i have one? - no.

There is no point in slagging off their vectras. But to come on a forum that happens to have a vectra thread and post on here is a little sad.

Enjoy your Vectras and we'll enjoy our Fiats (y)

I wouldnt have bought my GPS if the Stilo had been bad Steve... as I said, not all cars are as bad as your lemon was. Both our Fiats have been free from breakdowns and have not suffered any major mechanical breakdowns at all. Combined mileage in 6 years is 102,000 miles, both still going strong and will remain in service for the forseeable future due to the Credit Crunch.

the only comparable fiat to a vectra is a marea, new croma is different as it's a weird sort of car.

why the argument? surely a GP disease-l will be as fast as a similarly tuned corsa disease-l. and handle the same being practically the same, though styling of the corsa isn't to my tastes :yuck: but i'm not a huge fan of the GP styling, but that's safety ratings etc which makes it so big and chunky.(n)

i think this thread has been "moderated" as nothing seems to of been said that's abusive by any vectra owners. instead i see a fairly balanced argument. and everyones going to stick up for their own car anyway.

i had my stilo 2 years..... it never let me down once except for when the white van man in the flood decided to create a bow wave my way and flooded the engine out.... fair enough i had a few consumables go, my horn broke due to water ingress, and a few months later the turbo pipe split... but the car always kept working....

turn around to the vectra at work... the amount of time thats been broken down at the side of the motorway... (probably because its looked at itself in someones mirrors and fallen asleep )

its the case of the usual thing..... i obviously had a good stilo... but work got a crappy vectra... it can easily be reversed

Tbh, Modern Fiat's are no worse that other cars.

I test drove an 04 plate Ford Focus TDCI in very good condition, full service history.

Got back in my Grande Punto, and the punto felt better in every way, more refined, better road stance (though obviously not better handling) and much much more modern.

Vectra's.... If I had one, it'd be daily driver.

I'm in a volvo now, and its boring as hell compared to my old grande punto. Sure the Volvo wont break down, but neither would the punto.

I've driven much worse cars than a grande punto.

Vectra is fine for motorway/taxi/rep mobile etc.

Sure old fiats had a bad rep. But you cannot fault the GP/Panda/500/Bravo range. A good solid range of excellent value for money cars. that only the snobs ignore.

Go take a bravo out for a test drive and see the difference from the Stilo.

Last edited:
Back