Vauxhall is Vauxhalling again.

Currently reading:
Vauxhall is Vauxhalling again.

So my sister rang me just now "IM IN THE CAR PARK AND MY CAR IS JUST GOING VROOM VROOM VROOM" after I established what she meant basically her 2007 Corsa is hunting for idle, it's dropping to about 500rpm and picking itself back up to about 1500 it just repetitively does this at idle. Anyway I assume something is clogged or faulty, EGR valve? ICV? (Does it even have either of those, Vauxhall's are weird)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it's got the tiny 1000cc 12 valve engine.

Last edited:
might be a sticking throttle butterfly?

Might be something odd as the alternator belt slipping, my punto kept dropping its revs and picking back up again (okay not as bad as 500 to 1500rpm) But it was because the belt slipped and the engine picked the speed up to counter it - but dropped the revs to reduce its idle again

Ziggy

Not the same engine, but Vauxhall's nevetheless - I've had a sticking throttle body, where you start it up and the revs shoot up to about 1200 or so and then drop down. That was cured by cleaning the TB out. Another one I had if I remeber rightly was a vacuum pipe problem, but i can't be more specific as it was a while ago.

Sounds like either the idle speed controller valve or the throttle body needs cleaning, A few years ago I had a cavalier sri 16v and the idle speed controller needed to be cleaned out every few months, it was a 10 minute job. There was a modification, which was a retro fit oil trap on one of the breather pipes, to stop this happening, but I never got around to it.
Had a similar problem with my sister's mk4 astra (1.8) and this used to get a buildup around the throttle body, a lint free rag, soaked in meths was used to wipe things clean, then left to evaporate for 10 mins before refitting the air intake hose done once a year fixes it.

Back