Technical Tipo Electrical Issues.

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo Electrical Issues.

ronxray

Intermittent problem for last 4 months.

Started as an issue if I tried to start car 3 minutes after turning off, (Shopping where you lock car) I would get a response like you get with a flat battery, that is starter tried to turn and light would dim. Wait for 2 minutes and everything back to normal.

Today I had the problem but this time from cold start. I think it could be to do with the central locking, and one of the motors is labouring and still being powered (nearside passenger door), there is no noise. I am going to remove door panel and inspect later, but if the motor was constantly powered wouldn't it burn out???

Also I have had the following problems in the past.

Battery light on dim for 5 years, I never found problem but it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Blowing fuse when heater fan on highest setting. Cleared this by removing motor and cleaning gaps on commutator. (Carbon Brush Dust)

Jerking windscreen wipers. Cleared this by removing wiper assembly and cleaning the contacts that open when wipers are in the park position. They are in a plastic enclosure.

Last edited:
Just an update, it seems my not start problem was down to a deffective battery. New battery and car starts, central locking issue gone.

Battery light on dim for 5 years, I never found problem but it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Jerking windscreen wipers. Cleared this by removing wiper assembly and cleaning the contacts that open when wipers are in the park position. They are in a plastic enclosure.

LOL you just reminded me of a funny story - I had a Fiat Strada 60 about 15 years ago - problem with it was I couldn't get the oil light to go out, even when the oil level was okay and there didn't appear to be any leaks etc. So I removed the bulb from the dash to cure the problem.

3 months later the car's engine siezed on the M53 and the car had to be scrapped lol. Turned out I had an oil leak I hadn't noticed and I hadn't checked the levels. Funny how I can laugh now - I was gutted at the time, mind I was only 19 and in a low paid job. I regard that as one of lifes daft lessons.

Glad to hear about your wipers mate, I am doing the same repair as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer, although I am terrified of breaking it even more and not being able to get the wipers going at all.

Removing the wiper assembly is time comsuming but easy.
The contacts are substantial, so not easily damaged. Should take 40 minutes.

When I did mine, I had had an issue with the passengers foot well getting wet, when I removed the covers just below thw windscreen (outside) I found a drain hole that should have taken water away was blocked, cleared the drain hole, never had water inside car since.

Back