Technical Tipo DGT 1.6 Sporadic Non starter

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo DGT 1.6 Sporadic Non starter

scivier

Have Tipo DGT1.6 (1988 F reg) with Digiplex 2 module.
When driven short distance and parked for 2 hours won't start , no spark usually after 10 to 15 mins it will start OK. Once started will drive for hours. Always seems to happen at Asda after shoping with boot full of shopping!!
Have fitted new leads, dist cap, rotor arm 7 finally a new coil. But still it happens. Also checked vacumn pipes etc. Any ideas I don't want to buy a £300 module in case thats OK.

Yes! Classic symptoms of crankshaft position sensor fault!

The device has a fine coil of wire which can fracture yet still make touch-contact when cold, and not when hot.

I can't help with any more specific advice (e.g. how much it costs, where to get one...) but you will need a timing light to fit the sensor since the position is what sets the ignition timing. I think you will also struggle briefly to unbolt the sensor, as the bolts are designed to deter 'casual tinkering' - sheared-off heads from memory?

I'm pretty confident about this one, particularly since you have replaced the most common culprits already (e.g. carbon brush in distributor cap!) Also the ECU is not likely to fail 'hot'-only.

-Alex

Not quite true - the sensor can be easily removed from the bracket and refitted without incident - literally a 5 minute job. Do NOT remove the bracket, as the bolt will shear and will need drilling out/refitting as well as lots of hassle to get it positioned correctly.

Hellraiser..........>

Thanks AlexGS & Hellraiser. TDC Sensor has done the trick, & was easy to fit. Cost £47 incl VAT. Thanks again. Glad I found this site.

Back