Timpsons Code 2 Keys - Mid 2010

Currently reading:
Timpsons Code 2 Keys - Mid 2010

danbt

Hi Everyone.

I went into the Birmingham City centre branch of Timpsons and asked the guy to cut and code my key.

He said he couldnt because its Code 2 so its a Fiat £180 jobby.

So I said, why the hell cant you do it, you would make so much money from it.

He said, "Well apparently, we are getting the machines required around mid 2010, but it will still cost around £85-95."

I said, ill come back then.

So...... good news? :rolleyes:

Maybe but who's to say these machines will arrive on time? I'd just get Fiat to do it and have it over and done with!

'think all the money they will make' - i didnt realise that there were millions upon millions of owners waiting for keys to be cut :rolleyes:

They will be operating at a loss they wont get enough trade due to hardly any demand

you would need the key code card which fiat doesn't give out in the UK - so UK people will have to pay to get that from fiat

key card only applies to older fiats, newer fiats are on code2 system where all immobiliser info is within the key

key card only applies to older fiats, newer fiats are on code2 system where all immobiliser info is within the key

The key code card - contains both the code to get a new key cut and the login code to the ecu for programming - dont believe me check the mk2 manual

And it would be pretty stupid to put the info to cut and program a new key into the key dont you think.

Why did Fiat get rid of the key cards prior to the cars being imported into the UK on the MK2+Upwards models? In Europe, however, customers/owners were still allowed the cards?

Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

If you look at the Timpsons website they do offer car key programming at a whopping 3 stores nationwide. All are based in Manchester. I rang all three today and each time the window licker that answered the phone didn't have a clue what I meant when I asked if they could copy FIAT/ALFA code2 keys. They said I would have to come into the store. Do-able but don't really want to treck to be told no.

Yeah the Brum branch can't do Code2 yet but those Manc branches listed might be able to as they specifically state that the do car key programming. Just about all branches of Timpsons will do Code1.

I had a new "key only" cut at Mongoletsi in Cheshire last year. I think it was around the £130 mark, the procedure was that i took my car with keys. they then took the chasis number and i think something off the 1 key i had. The key was cut in the MASSIVE Fiat/Iveco warehouse in Warrington and sent to them. They phoned me when the key arrived to arrange a date when i took the Multipla in. They advised 1/2 labour which was included with the price of the key....it is obviously a bit vague from here as all work was done in the workshop.But i did ask about the missing key/keys that could have been used with my car, the answer was that "all other keys have been barred from the car and only my 2 were accepted by the ECU".
This would suggest that additional progamming to the ECU is required to accept new keys and barr "redundant" or lost ones. This makes sense as i could sell my Multi or Sporting with one key tomorrow and then go round and "nick it back" next week with ligit keys.
This is my experience of the procedure anyway,if it is different for other people it makes it all the more confusing.

Back