Technical Timing belt adjustment-advice please

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt adjustment-advice please

Car is a Panda 1000 ie CAT 1993, have only pottered about in the car since I got it & it has been SORN for around 18 months. Finally got it MOT’d & have started to use it more in earnest & there is a problem of accelerating gently from low revs (feels like a flat spot), struggling to keep going uphill & overheating when not tootling about. Having said that its happy around 60 / 65 mph so nothing too amiss, fingers crossed.
Have changed coil packs, coolant, checked plugs & cleaned carb with carb cleaner – no significant improvement.
Looking at cam belt it looks to me like the timing’s out & as this is out of my comfort zone I’d be glad of any input & pointers as to what to do & what not to do.
Hope the pics have uploaded OK – should illustrate that whilst the pointer at the clutch side shows TDC – at the same time the timing marks on the cam pulley / head aren’t lined up?
Assuming I’ve not fallen at the first hurdle & the timing is out I’d think that what I need to do is a) slacken off the tensioner b) remove the belt from the cam pulley (can I do this without taking it off the other pulleys?) c) rotate the cam pulley clockwise until the timing marks align d) put the belt back & tension it – all the time making sure that the crankshaft doesn’t move.
Am I right in this or would I break something -or do I have to do what I’d have to do to change the belt – take off the crankshaft pulley / auxiliary belt / position sensor etc. (some excellent guides on the whole job but can’t see anything about just adjusting )?
Should say I don’t want to change the belt as it was new when I first got the car (put on by someone else!)
As ever, any thoughts much appreciated

Attachments

• WP_20180618_15_24_11_Proa.jpg
    WP_20180618_15_24_11_Proa.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 92
  • WP_20180618_15_26_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180618_15_26_13_Pro.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Yes, a standard 999cc FIRE - think my post was rather too long winded! Basically all the technical tips I can find on the Forum are how to replace the cam belt whereas I just need a pointer on how to reposition the cam / cam belt to correct the timing 'cos the cam belt wasn't put on right in the first place. I didn't want to start doing it & have that sinking feeling when I realise what a cock up I'd made.

Ok it’s a fire engine so it can not be damaged no valves go into the piston space. Your a tooth or two out. It probably moved in a previous life due to the belt tensions not tighten enough just slack it off rotate cam to correct position then tighten checkin position once more good luck

Back