thumbprint scanner

Currently reading:
thumbprint scanner

I'm considering buying a new computer, something with plenty of grunt for dealing with HD videos & noticed a few PCs have thumbprint scanners to prevent unauthorised use.
As these scanners can be bought ever so cheaply these days (Maplins have a usb thumb scanner for £24) and cars all seem to rely on little computers to run most functions, I couldn't help wondering why we aren't seeing this tech built into all cars as an anti-theft device?

lend my car? have you seen the way most people drive?
As for getting something out of the boot, I was just thinking about the device as an additional measure to prevent driving.
I suppose there is the issue of taking the car to a garage & how would they drive it - but I guess that would be what you would use the red key for, to act as an override.

I'm thinking - new car, dealer hands over the keys, you insert the red key & tap in the standard code (11111111), press your thumb against the scanner then press 1 to confirm & exit, 2 for an additional driver, 3 to disable, 4 to change code...
For garage service, insert red key, scan thumb, press 3....
When you sell the car, insert red key, scan thumb, press 4..

Last edited:
you not hear how they steal cars now? break into your house and beat you up for the keys, they wouldn't think twice about cutting your finger off

I didn't know they broke in and beat you up for the keys. :eek:

In which case, you might as well leave the door unlocked and the keys in the ignition.

Perhaps that is why, in almost every American film, the thief always checks under the sun visor for the keys.

We have fingerprint entry on some enclosures at work so only authorised staff can enter the high risk area,,,,,

Net result it the Machinists going nuts as they stand there pressing their finger on and off the reader waiting for it to finally recognise their fingerprint

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
Was watching 'future homes' the other night - the telly people had completely upgraded this couple's house & included a thumbprint scanner. The hubby was having a hell of a job getting entry - he worked in an MOT garage, his thumbprint was practically non-existant AND he kept touching his thumb to the scanner without waiting for the thing to scan (3 LEDs lit in sequence to show progress), it worked fast but not as fast as Mr impatient :D

tbh ur not the only peron who thought of this idea. but after having an old 106 rallye with that stupid key pad i thought itd [rob be a bad idea as that done my head in pressing code in over and over till it worked.

Great idea, surprised we haven't seen this on the market yet. Some fingerprint sensors can actually tell whether the finger has a pulse, so we'd be unlikely to see a crime wave of thumb theft :)

he worked in an MOT garage, his thumbprint was practically non-existant AND he kept touching his thumb to the scanner without waiting for the thing to scan (3 LEDs lit in sequence to show progress), it worked fast but not as fast as Mr impatient :D

thats the problem we have doing manual labour involving rough sawn timber and very sharp cutting blocks tend to alter finger prints or make them totally unrecognisable

What about in an accident? When the driver is incapacitated and the police need to move the car to make the area safe? Or if someone else has to drive you to hospital because you have had your thumb amputated?

tbh ur not the only peron who thought of this idea.

Saw it the other day - was watching back to the future!

What about in an accident? When the driver is incapacitated and the police need to move the car to make the area safe? Or if someone else has to drive you to hospital because you have had your thumb amputated?

I've seen how they move cars that cannot be started - tow rope or passing lorry.
In any case, the scanner would be mid dash so using the driver's left thumb or right if they're a passenger. I imagine the system would be designed to accept many prints - to allow for additional drivers, so the main driver could also add fingerprints as well as thumbprint.

in all honesty if people can't manage to keep keys safe then i doubt they will be responsible when it comes to biometrics, most people can barely operate the trip computer without trouble yet your asking them to maintain a potentially complex electronic ignition system and ensure the safety of the car by managing those that do and don't have access.

no longer will you be able to nip to the cash and carry in the bosses car or shuffle your mums people carrier on the drive because she's taken up 2 spaces, (unless your already registered in the car). its not like its not been thought of its that is has been considered in dept and simply isn't workable.

my Dad recently bought a Volvo C70 with keyless entry and ignition. as long as you have the key on you the door will unlock for you and the start button will spin the engine up, much easier and yeah someone can always pinch the key but then even with biometrics there are ways and means to steal a car or bypass the electronics